Foam explosion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brezo11

Reaction score
Hello! I’ve been making bath bombs for a while now but I’ve had the same issue with every one I’ve made- as soon as I put it in the water I get an initial poofy cloud of foam and color that floats on the surface unless I break it up. Is there a way to get rid of this? To make it so the bath bomb just fizzes normally? I don’t really know what else to do or why it even happens.
Here’s a picture for reference of what I’m talking about:
241024.jpg

You'll need to post your recipe so we can help you better. There are many different ways to make bath bombs these days.
This is the recipe I use for one bath bomb. At this point I make them one at a time to experiment with different colors and fragrances, but the recipe works in multiples for batches too.

120g baking soda
60g citric acid
20g kaolin clay
6 g SLSA
2 tsp cream of tartar

1g polysorbate 80
3g oil
1/4 tsp coco betaine
2-3 g fragrance
1 g cocoa butter
2.5 rubbing alcohol

And before anyone says it’s the coco betaine, I would think so too except that I’ve had this problem since before I started using it, so I don’t think that’s it. I also had the problem when I was using much less clay and had Epsom salt in my recipe.

I actually think it's a combo between the coco betaine and the SLSA & Cream of Tartar and clay. It's making more of a foam than a fizz. Adding too much stuff will affect the fizzing of the citric acid.

I actually think it's a combo between the coco betaine and the SLSA & Cream of Tartar and clay. It's making more of a foam than a fizz. Adding too much stuff will affect the fizzing of the citric acid.
That makes sense. So would it be better to take away some things or increase the amount of baking soda and/or citric acid? I really like what all those things do to the water but maybe I could do them in smaller amounts?

Latest posts

Back