Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am trying to find a Dragon's Blood FO that smells like actual Dragon's Blood instead of patchouli mixed with other random things. Have you ever smelled real Dragon's Blood resin? Would you say the NG version is accurate or is it another patchouli blend?
It is interesting you mention real DB resin as I have really never noticed much scent from the resin itself, but maybe that is just me. You might want to try the DB from California Candle supply. It is very similar to the one I have, but no longer sell any of mine, other than by very special request, and does not smell like Patch. It is more floral and extremely popular. The one Cal Candle sells now is a little lighter in scent than our original formula due to the cost of manufacturing but is still very nice and worth trying. If you happen to try it, his Caramel Tobacco is to die for, and the Hardwood Musk is worth trying. Again the Hardwood Musk is not the original dupe, but very close, I had but it is worth trying, it is another one the cost became prohibitive with the original formula. I cherish my last few ounces of HM.

It is interesting you mention real DB resin as I have really never noticed much scent from the resin itself, but maybe that is just me. You might want to try the DB from California Candle supply. It is very similar to the one I have, but no longer sell any of mine, other than by very special request, and does not smell like Patch. It is more floral and extremely popular. The one Cal Candle sells now is a little lighter in scent than our original formula due to the cost of manufacturing but is still very nice and worth trying. If you happen to try it, his Caramel Tobacco is to die for, and the Hardwood Musk is worth trying. Again the Hardwood Musk is not the original dupe, but very close, I had but it is worth trying, it is another one the cost became prohibitive with the original formula. I cherish my last few ounces of HM.
Did you smell the resin being burned as incense, or did you just smell a piece of it? It's always stronger in use.

I just read the reviews on the NG website. Several reviewers said that they knew what the real deal smells like, and that this one is really close. I need some now.
Plus, I'm very nearly out of lye so I have an excuse to place an order. :D
So, I did get some of this. I made a wax tart with it to test the scent. I wouldn't say it smells exactly like the resin, but it is similar. It is definitely an incense scent. My husband likes it, so that's something. He can be picky sometimes. I like it when he likes the same scents I do.

I used 1 oz FO to 10 oz of wax because that seems to be the sweet spot from the testers. I've done 6% but reviews came back from test batches saying that they could tell the difference between the 6% and the 10% but could not tell between 10% and 12%. I also felt better about 10% because there is less of a risk of seepage.

So after testing I realized that no, 10% FO is a terrible idea. It's just too overwhelmingly strong and my testers and I were apparently noseblind. It happens. So, here we are. Months later. Going back to 6%. But hey, testing amirite? It never ends, it just gets more refined. I need to pull out my spreadsheet and update the list but incase anyone looks through this - I was totes wrong. Six percent, it's my current sweet spot. There are always going to be some stronger and weaker frags, but for the starting point on new FOs, I tend to stick to that. I did however discover Moonworks FOs and my god, they're incredible. Especially Sea Witch. It's a truly beautiful and unique scent, I'm about to test with it for the first time. Not sure how it'll do in wax, might be better as a bodywash/bubble bath but it's ethereal OOB.

So, I did get some of this. I made a wax tart with it to test the scent. I wouldn't say it smells exactly like the resin, but it is similar. It is definitely an incense scent. My husband likes it, so that's something. He can be picky sometimes. I like it when he likes the same scents I do.

@Quanta I'm going to have to track down some real Dragon's Blood because of you. Preferred supplier? Also, I'd just like you to know that our previous discussion about you making your incense from scratch lead me down a rabbit hole and now I guess I have another hobby. Well done.

Did you smell the resin being burned as incense, or did you just smell a piece of it? It's always stronger in use.
Sorry for the really late answer, I smelled it burned as incense. Maybe I expected it to smell like my really strong DB fragrance. California Candle has Dragon's Blood, but I am not sure if it is the same one I was having made. He and I used to split the order so I am not sure what he is selling now, but it may still be the same DB I would sell at times.

@Quanta I'm going to have to track down some real Dragon's Blood because of you. Preferred supplier? Also, I'd just like you to know that our previous discussion about you making your incense from scratch lead me down a rabbit hole and now I guess I have another hobby. Well done.
😁 You're welcome!

I got my resin on Amazon from a seller who is apparently just a repacker. I'm not sure where they got it from. It's either not easy to make a fake version of it, or there's no market for fake resin so... just read the reviews first to make sure of the quality. That's all I do, to be honest.

I'm testing FOs from a batch of tarts I made over the holiday and have come across some absolute gems. Our extended families prefer wax melts to wicked candles so these are what have come out as good performers for me, but as always YMMV. I'll update as I continue to test.

I hope this helps others explore some new fragrances or take a chance on a scent they've passed up. Please feel free to add your own, I'd love to get a conversation going about your own experiences.

Some details:
My current blend is 70 : 30 parasoy using IGI 4625 : GW 464 with no additives other than what is already in each blended wax. I typically add vybar and stearic acid for straight waxes but they've already done that for me. I think this batch of wax came from Flaming Candle and is about a year old. I add FO at 180 degrees and stir for 2 minutes.​
I used 1 oz FO to 10 oz of wax because that seems to be the sweet spot from the testers. I've done 6% but reviews came back from test batches saying that they could tell the difference between the 6% and the 10% but could not tell between 10% and 12%. I also felt better about 10% because there is less of a risk of seepage.​
I'm going to check at what temperatures my electric melter runs at. I read that melter temps, as well nearby intake vents, overhead fans, and room size all affect your scent throw. I'm currently melting in two average sized bedrooms, fans off, away from vents. I do not expect these to fill a large room in the same way a 3 wick candle would but you should get noticable throw in a bedroom.​
Winners:
MMS Coconut Lemongrass. This surprised me, I didn't expect to love it as much as I do. It's a tangy gourmand and was universally loved.

NG Dragon's Blood. This one spoke to my witchy little heart but it's not a universal love. You have to really like the incense note but it's a fabulous performer in wax and would be a great Halloween scent.

NG Wild Currant Sandalwood. This is such a beautiful scent. It's sweet but not cloyingly so, it has a nice depth to it that makes it stand out from the other berry fragrances.

NG China Rain. This smells EXACTLY like the 90s incense that I loved so much. Exactly. Like. It. The Sweetcakes version was not even close. This is an exact dupe according to my childhood memories.

NG Pink Sugar. I'm what you could call a late blooming girly girl. I can barely be bothered to shave my legs or put on makeup but my god I would bathe in this super sweet and utterly delicious girly scent. I don't know, it's making me want to throw on some gloss and pretend I still leave the house like before covid. I want to wear colors. COLORS. This stuff is dangerous.

I'm just not that into you (I don't hate it, but I also don't love it):

BB Night Violet. This is a lovely scent but also a very soapy smelling scent. It honestly smells like a freshly washed infant. Would be a wonderful bubble bath and one tester said it would be a great alternative to lavender for a night time scent.

Thank you so much for this list! I am intrigued with the Wild Currant Sandalwood and the Pink Sugar!

I’ve officially dove into wax melts recently. Northwood Candle Supply sent a Glazed Donut wax melt free with an order and I am obsessed and had to buy a bottle. I would have never thought it would be something I would like. It’s sweet but warm. It doesn’t make me hungry lol so that’s good. Just comforting.

Another good wax melt is BB Apricot Freesia (fresh happy smell with fruit as the forward note) and Nurture Soaps Blue Agave. (Spa scent that is soothing but not too medicinal.)

Back