FO Vendors Cost Comparison Table... because I had nothing better to do with my valuable time.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juxtapose

"aka Shannon" - Mom, Artist & Crafter
Reaction score
If I missed anyone important, let me know in the comments.
Also, if you have anything good/bad/informative to share about any on the list, please do share.
I need to stock up on FOs, but really want to be smart about how much I spend and with whom.

I've sorted the table by least cost per ounce on the 16oz size.
Keep in mind, I took a sampling of average costs. Some scents might be lower or higher than listed here.
This is just for me to get an overall sense of their cost by vendor.

Also, I made sure to check if they had a good selection of soap safe scents before adding to the table.

1679021702322.png

Let me know if you find this helpful or have input.
Next, I go find some mica suppliers. :D

Cheers,
Shannon

Also, if you have anything good/bad/informative to share about any on the list, please do share.
I need to stock up on FOs, but really want to be smart about how much I spend and with whom.

Keep in mind, I took a sampling of average costs. Some scents might be lower or higher than listed here.

Also, I made sure to check if they had a good selection of soap safe scents before adding to the table.

View attachment 71343

Cheers,
Shannon

I absolutely love this. I did something similar but not nearly as comprehensive with my fragrance oils - I have other columns for % vanillin, max usage, testing notes (acceleration and discoloration), vendor description. I did the same, I included the price of 16 oz although many I only bought a 1 oz sample. Then I labeled all my fragrances with that info so I don't have to backtrack every time I want to use a fragrance. Oh - I would add Stock Fragrance and Scent Memory - Stock Fragrance will for sure be in the RED category for price. But they are nice fragrances.

The whole table I made is too big to screenshot but here's a sample.

IMG_8495.jpg
here are the labels I made
009D7A2E-4543-4256-9B13-6A54F266185A.jpeg
Here are my boxes of test samples. The “scent families” are somewhat arbitrary but have meaning to me, I guess.
6C8C0251-4BE5-46F6-9111-85EC90C66021.jpeg
and here are my test samples. In an ideal world they wouldn’t be all in one box not separated, but it works well enough. Really helps with knowing what to expect for discoloration.

2643EF31-65BD-4EA3-9083-72C112D90AB0.jpeg

Last edited:
Useful. Thank you. You must be so very bored lol
Oh yes, very bored... of my day job. 🤣

I absolutely love this. I did something similar but not nearly as comprehensive with my fragrance oils - I have other columns for % vanillin, max usage, testing notes (acceleration and discoloration), vendor description. I did the same, I included the price of 16 oz although many I only bought a 1 oz sample. Then I labeled all my fragrances with that info so I don't have to backtrack every time I want to use a fragrance. Oh - I would add Stock Fragrance and Scent Memory - Stock Fragrance will for sure be in the RED category for price. But they are nice fragrances.

The whole table I made is too big to screenshot but here's a sample.

View attachment 71344
here are the labels I made
View attachment 71345
Here are my boxes of test samples. The “scent families” are somewhat arbitrary but have meaning to me, I guess.
View attachment 71347
and here are my test samples. In an ideal world they wouldn’t be all in one box not separated, but it works well enough. Really helps with knowing what to expect for discoloration.

View attachment 71346

Wow, this is great. Thanks for sharing. Just love how both creative and scientific this craft can be.
I'm sure I'll be doing something similar in the months to come. :D

Oh, just a thought.
As I was gathering my list of FO vendors, it came very apparent to me that many of them carry the same FOs because they are distributors.
Some keep the same scent name, while others get more creative and rename them.

So, I always need to keep that in mind while comparing prices and vendors.
Basically, it's like shopping at the grocery store, if the ingredient list on a can is the same for big brand vs store brand, you know which one I'm buying. :p
But that's me. YMMV.

Shannon

I once started a spreadsheet like that with all my ingredients, but price is only part of the equation...which is why I deleted my spreadsheet. Other parts include things like application, quality, shipping, retention, and behavior to name a few.

I once started a spreadsheet like that with all my ingredients, but price is only part of the equation...which is why I deleted my spreadsheet. Other parts include things like application, quality, shipping, retention, and behavior to name a few.
For me, the price is one consideration - but is a consideration nonetheless. I just recently added that column. I’m learning that the fragrances I tend to like are pricier, and some of the less expensive fragrances have a “cheap perfume” scent to my nose.

Totally. I get it. I'm sure once I have a good groove going with my ingredients and most favorite vendors my spreadsheets will start collecting some digital dust. :D

For me, the price is one consideration - but is a consideration nonetheless. I just recently added that column. I’m learning that the fragrances I tend to like are pricier, and some of the less expensive fragrances have a “cheap perfume” scent to my nose.

Yeah, I get that. Plus, if you have to use 2x the amount of the cheaper stuff to get get a good strong smell, then yeah, yer wasting your dough.
I just want to find a good balance of affordable AND effective.

View attachment 71343

Cheers,
Shannon
Hi Winsome and Wicked, I love this spreadsheet and think it is very useful. Is there a way you can post the actual spreadsheet so we can download it? That would be awesome! Maybe attach a file?

The spreadsheet is a great idea! The only issue I have with tracking this way is figuring shipping costs because they can make a huge difference. So while Nurture is on the more expensive end, I never have trouble meeting the $30 minimum for free shipping and I prefer several of their scents over other's.

Also Micas and More isn't a big supplier with huge variety, but Steph carries high quality at great prices.

Hi Winsome and Wicked, I love this spreadsheet and think it is very useful. Is there a way you can post the actual spreadsheet so we can download it? That would be awesome! Maybe attach a file?

Sure thing. :)
I'll just share the Google sheet here. I've made it so anyone with the link can comment in the doc, but not edit.

FO & Mica Vendors

Price is a consideration for me too as I have to look at what my market can bear. Back when I first started and needed to place an order, I'd have a spreadsheet set up with what I wanted to order, then I would open multiple windows from various suppliers and enter the cost (and shipping) and then would choose who gave me the best bang for my buck. Man...I do NOT miss those days...it would take me a couple of hours to place one or two orders.

Totally. I get it. I'm sure once I have a good groove going with my ingredients and most favorite vendors my spreadsheets will start collecting some digital dust. :D
Like many others, these days I pretty much stick with just a few favorite vendors instead of chasing prices. When I first started, I bought my soaping oils and butters from BrambleBerry, Rustic Escentuals, Elements Bath & Body and BeScented. Now days I get them from Costco and Shay and Company; sometimes I pay a little more, sometimes I pay a little less, but I can't beat the convenience of getting what I want the same day I want it (during business hours). Like I ran out of Coconut Oil...30 minutes later I was back home making more Solid Lotion Bars. The majority of my FOs and colorants I get from BrambleBerry, Nurture Soap and Rustic Escentuals. I'm starting to pick up more FOs from Shay and Company as they expand.

This is great, but I can't figure out how to download it as a file. Is that a possibility or would you rather not allow that?

You should be able to use this link FO & Mica Vendors
It should open the Google doc.
Then under File, choose Download.
If it doesn't give you that option, then just do File > Make Copy

Hope that works! :)

Shannon

Very useful. Love that I can download it now. I do have to say though, I have my favorites. I love love Nurture Soap for their micas though I also buy micas from Mad Micas. I have a whole bunch of a fragrances from Midwest but I'm always looking for new places. Think I might try Studio next.

You should be able to use this link FO & Mica Vendors
It should open the Google doc.
Then under File, choose Download.
If it doesn't give you that option, then just do File > Make Copy

Hope that works! :)

Shannon
Thank you so much! I do appreciate all the work you have done on this and I'm sure there are many others who do too.

Back