FO testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to be more consistent and habitual with testing FOs. This is what I tested today and preliminary results:

EBB:
Sweet pumpkin- heavy acceleration and discoloration
Calabrian bergamot violet- perfect
Mistletoe kisses- slight acceleration
Juicy couture- slight acceleration
Shampure- slight acceleration
Vanilla sandalwood- perfect; slight discolor
Balsam & citrus- deceleration; slight yellow discolor
Honey patchouli- heavy discoloration (deep yellowish orange); otherwise perfect
Downpour- ricing and separation

BB:
Cocoa butter cashmere- perfect
Willow and ivy- perfect ; slight yellow discolor

FC:
Mahogany teakwood- slight deceleration; otherwise perfect
Karma- perfect

OT:
White witch- slight acceleration; slight discolor

NS:
Anarchy- perfect

Last edited:
I’ll post notes on the fragrances themselves in a few days.

Also, for perspective, the recipe I used was 42% lard, 25% HO sunflower oil, 18% coconut oil, 10% Shea butter, and 5% castor. It is a slow moving recipe and I soap in the mid-80-degree range (give or take), 1% sf and 1.7:1 water:lye.

Last edited:
Apologize in advance for going off topic, but do you have a good source for your HO sunflower oil? Everything I've found is so much more expensive than Costco's OO that I end up sticking with that, even though I don't like the OO as much as sunflower. Thanks!

@AliOop Of course! Happy to answer your question. I’m one of the biggest off-topic offenders anyway.

I have bought mine at Ralph’s (Kroger’s brand) and Trader Joe’s. I use so much of it that I bought 14 pounds (2 7 pound bottles) from Soaper’s Choice. It’s $15.30/ bottle. SUNFLOWER H.O | Soaper's Choice
Thanks so much! The shipping from Soaper's Choice doubles the price for me 😭 but I'll definitely take another look at Trader Joe's.

Thanks so much! The shipping from Soaper's Choice doubles the price for me 😭 but I'll definitely take another look at Trader Joe's.
I usually buy other supplies from them to consolidate shipping. Things I can’t find at the grocery store (RBO, Shea butter, etc.) that I need to order online anyway drive my real purpose for using Soaper’s Choice (which should really be “Soapers’ Choice” but whatever) to buy my SF oil.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back