FO testing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It took some time, but I finally decided to try some FOs and Flavor oils. After scouring the archives of SMF for ideas and reading the websites, I decided to order from BB and MMS. My shipment from MMS arrived in 3 days! There was a change in plans for today. I have 5 more FOs and a flavor oil on their way from BB. That ought to keep me busy for a while.

Here’s my first test run of the MMS FOs:
0C279144-6704-43FE-9C7F-0CE76E0FAB93.jpeg

I also added some clays, indigo and AC to vary the colors a little so they’re easier to tell apart visually.
From left to right and top to bottom:
Jacob, Eastern Amber
Somali Rose, Green Sap Moss, leftover soap with peppermint EO
Bay Rum, Green Tea, Osmanthus
I soaped more or less in the order they’re listed, except that the peppermint EO was last.
I used the same plain vegan base I’ve been using lately, starting at around 105F, and didn’t see anything I would call acceleration although you can tell that some of it set up just a little faster (the ones that look a little bumpy). It’s not a perfect test for acceleration because the additives varied from soap to soap
I couldn’t find some of the scents people seemed to like. Do they come and go? I still have a few more FOs to try from MMS because I only made a small batch of soap today. They’re all woodsy.

Most of the soaps developed ash overnight on the exposed surface. They were covered, but not very tightly. It looks like one of the oval molds is making concave tops (top 6 soaps above, vs the lower two), which I’m not happy about. To avoid gel, I left the molds on the counter, covered but not insulated. The colors are pretty and I will try to add a little shine by steaming them.

For the FOs, I used a 1/4 tsp for each soap (about 1 gram) to put the scents close to the “moderate” range based on the fragrance calculator at MMS. I have used only EOs to date, so I made one little soap with a good solid peppermint scent as a point of comparison. To my sensitive nose, the FO scent levels seem relatively gentle, which surprised me.

FE8B6EC1-D4AA-4FE9-9177-7B0FC6AABC51.jpeg D338F61F-8250-480D-AF17-609BCE75B1F8.jpeg

I did another sniff test and think I would use more Jacob and Osmanthus the next time. @dibbles , if you don’t mind sharing, what FO concentration did you use in your Osmanthus scented batch? In the notes section of the MMS calculator, they indicated that the scent would intensify in wet soap for each of the FOs I calculated. I don’t want a strong scent, but I do want it to be detectable by most (excluding my step mom who can’t detect scents that I think are strong).

I did another sniff test and think I would use more Jacob and Osmanthus the next time. @dibbles , if you don’t mind sharing, what FO concentration did you use in your Osmanthus scented batch? In the notes section of the MMS calculator, they indicated that the scent would intensify in wet soap for each of the FOs I calculated. I don’t want a strong scent, but I do want it to be detectable by most (excluding my step mom who can’t detect scents that I think are strong).
I used Osmanthus at 1 oz PPO. I do like a strong scent.

I was going to do scent testing instead of a loaf tonight too. I have so many FOs... I have a problem...
If you think of it, add your thoughts to the SMF FO spreadsheet

My batch was 1 lb of oils and I used 7 grams total of the various FOs (plus a little EO for that last little bit of batter). I think that puts me at little less than 25% of what you used. I will try doubling the the concentration of the Jacob and Osmanthus the next time.

If you think of it, add your thoughts to the SMF FO spreadsheet
will do! I noticed that there aren’t many MMS scents in the spreadsheet.

Nice, I have been wondering about that one so will wait and see how it is in a couple of months.

I doubled up on Osmanthus in the batch I made today, so 0.5 oz PPO and the scent still seems relatively mild. Do FOs ever get stronger as the soap cures?

I doubled up on Osmanthus in the batch I made today, so 0.5 oz PPO and the scent still seems relatively mild. Do FOs ever get stronger as the soap cures?
Sometimes they do, as I understand it. I haven't experienced that myself though. Yesterday I sniffed the Osmanthus soap I made, and so far it is holding well.

I thought I would report back that, even at 0.5 oz ppo, the Osmanthus scent in the soap I made on June 9th is holding well. Now that I have some experience making soaps with higher concentrations of FOs I would say the scent level is light to moderate. That suits me perfectly for personal use although I know that many like stronger scents.

Back