FO suitable for laundry?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd been wondering same. I had a chance to test some soaps recently and I liked the smell of some of them so much I trimmed off about .5cm (smaller than .25 inches) slices and put them in a few loads of laundry (I wriggled them inside a scrubbie and threw the scrubbie in the wash). I can attest that the smell did transfer to the laundry. So much so that I had to take it down a notch and only put in one sliver at a time - I got a little overzealous and started with five slivers, but it made the closet smell real nice! I didn't notice one FO being more intense than another, but then again I have a sensitive sniffer and I haven't used fragranced laundry soap for almost 30 yrs. My step-Mother-in-law uses Tide (with no softeners) and I literally almost choke when I use her towels because the scent is so strong, so perhaps the scent the FO imparted to the laundry isn't what most folks would call "scented", but it was just right for me. :)

Very interesting!
What's a scrubbie? I haven't heard of scrubbies before here in the UK.

I just read something about the possibility of mixing FO with vinegar and adding that to the conditioner drawer... apparently the clothes come out soft and scented.

Oops - I apologize - i didn't notice you were in the UK. I think you might call them "dish scourers" - folks in the US might call them that too now that I think about it! Here's a picture:

1623810466233.png

I happen to be testing scents for the laundry now. Here's what I use:

Water-Soluble Fragrance for Laundry (EO or FO)

16 oz. Distilled water
2 oz. Polysorbate 20 or 80
0.5 oz. Fragrance

Add 2 oz. to dry wash cloth. Wring to disburse. Toss in the dryer with the wet laundry.

TIP: To avoid oil stains on clothes be sure the fragrance oil is completely dissolved in the water. After mixing at room temp, let set for an hour to see if oil rises to the top. If so, add more polysorbate. You can also warm it in the microwave for one minute to dissolve more easily. :thumbup:

You can also add 1/4 cup to the last wash rinse cycle along with 1/4 cup white vinegar for a Downey soft result. Be sure to rinse the load in cold water as many times as necessary to get all the soap residue out or eventually your clothes and bed linens will be stiff and somewhat dingy. ;)

I LUV folding laundry these days! So clean, soft and lightly scented.

I can attest that the smell did transfer to the laundry. So much so that I had to take it down a notch
I had the same experience. My first attempt at adding to wash/rinse cycle came out too strong. I like the idea of adding a sliver of scented soap to the batch. Good thinking! 😍
mixing FO with vinegar and adding that to the conditioner drawer... apparently the clothes come out soft and scented.
Yes.
I have used just a drop or two on a washcloth and ran that through the dryer cycle with the rest of the load.
:thumbup::thumbup: Good idea, and the most simple solution, but I would be a bit concerned about the drop of oil being transferred to my favorite white blouse. :eek:

I've had good luck adding a few drops of essential oil to my wool dryer balls after using plain vinegar in the rinse cycle. I tried adding EO to the vinegar in a separate labeled bottle, but the fragrance didn't seem to last. I have recently read that EO's are not soluble in vinegar or water--meaning that you might get no fragrance or all the fragrance. Also putting in my vote for sun-dried laundry for the best fragrance ever. But not everyone is lucky enough to live in the desert...the temperature hit 117'F in our backyard so take that last bit with a pinch of salt--or a 2 pound salt rock! ;) Looking enviously at you Oregonians and Washingtonians!

Sun-dried tomato scent! :swinging:

Great idea with the dryer balls!

I've had good luck adding a few drops of essential oil to my wool dryer balls after using plain vinegar in the rinse cycle. I tried adding EO to the vinegar in a separate labeled bottle, but the fragrance didn't seem to last. I have recently read that EO's are not soluble in vinegar or water--meaning that you might get no fragrance or all the fragrance. Also putting in my vote for sun-dried laundry for the best fragrance ever. But not everyone is lucky enough to live in the desert...the temperature hit 117'F in our backyard so take that last bit with a pinch of salt--or a 2 pound salt rock! ;) Looking enviously at you Oregonians and Washingtonians!

Yeah, here with the humidity as high as it gets in the summer months, towels don't actually get dry on the line. I gave up on line drying with the help of my husband who didn't like bending over when on the riding lawn mower. He pulled down one of the posts to which the lines were attached when he put up the raised garden beds cuz' he figured I'd never hang laundry over them and he was right about that. I actually do still have one line I can use, but rarely do basically because I'm too lazy to trek out there in the non-humid months.

Sun-dried tomato scent! :swinging:

Great idea with the dryer balls!

Yeah, here with the humidity as high as it gets in the summer months, towels don't actually get dry on the line. I gave up on line drying with the help of my husband who didn't like bending over when on the riding lawn mower. He pulled down one of the posts to which the lines were attached when he put up the raised garden beds cuz' he figured I'd never hang laundry over them and he was right about that. I actually do still have one line I can use, but rarely do basically because I'm too lazy to trek out there in the non-humid months.
When I lived in high humidity places--Texas, Mississippi, Ohio, I think I just whimpered pathetically until things changed:p

Back