FO suitable for laundry?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@KimW I might have to try that but... I really like the Downy ones as they actually don't cause me and mine irritation. I need an FO dupe for the amber one to be 100% sold.

So I've made me a trial batch. Totally shooting in the dark here with regards to 'drops', so I made 3 cups coarse salt with 10gms FO. Smells nice and strong - which it would have to be to come near the 'whiffability' of the Scentsy ones that I've been using.
I'll use them in the next load of washing and report back..

Yesterday, I made a batch of laundry crystals scented with an EO blend. I increased the amount of the blend to 20 drops per cup of salt and made 4 cups. The fragrance was there, but not overpowering. I liked it. I followed the directions in this recipe: It said to allow the batch to meld for 20 minutes.

An hour later, I stripped my bed of all the bed linens, including pillows, comforter, duvet, sheets & pillow cases. I ran 3 loads. I added the recommended 2 tablespoons to the first load. When the pillows came out with no scent at all, I doubled the amount to 4 tablespoons for the 2nd and 3rd load.

Bottom line: No fragrance at all. Total bust. Boo Hoo. 😪

Aww @Zany_in_CO - such a shame. My ones came out with a very slight fragrance, but I only used a tablespoon in the load. However, if I'd used that much of my previous Scentsy stuff - it would have been highly fragrant.
I used FOs that have a fairly strong scent OOB, and I used 10g to 3 cups salt. I have no idea how many 'drops' that works out to.

Volume of oils seems more than weight (being fairly light) so I reckon 2 or 3 drops per gram. So 10 grams would be about 20-30 drops overall for 3 cups salt.

The recipe calls for 10 drops per cup of salt, and I reckon I must have used only about 5-7, so I could probably increase that.

Are all drops created equal? A dripper bottle from an EO is the same as a pipette droplet extracted from a bottle of FO?

Are all drops created equal? A dripper bottle from an EO is the same as a pipette droplet extracted from a bottle of FO?
In my experience (as far as I've been paying attention) it's more about the characteristics of the thing being dropped, i.e. viscosity will play a big part in how much can form into a droplet before breaking free...

Not all droppers are created equal. Just as all grip strength of any one person's hand are not equal. (Just go to an OT for therapy after hand surgery (or for the fun of it, if available to you) and get your grip strength tested.)

So take one dropper and squeeze. Take another dropper and squeeze. Take a different liquid and squeeze. Try different liquids from different droppers. Try it with different hands and even different pressure with different fingers of the same hand. Weight theses drops. You are bound to come out with different weights.

You can get an average and roughly estimate what your weight per number of drops will be IF you always use the same dropper AND always use the same liquid AND think you always use the same pressure when you squeeze the dropper. But it's not an exact science.

I did it with ROE (very viscous) and came up with a 'good enough for me' weight per drop. Then one day realized I did not have the same dropper with me when traveling and that whole thing went down the tubes. I had to weight my ROE on my jeweler's scale all over again.

Not all droppers are created equal. Just as all grip strength of any one person's hand are not equal. (Just go to an OT for therapy after hand surgery (or for the fun of it, if available to you) and get your grip strength tested.)

So take one dropper and squeeze. Take another dropper and squeeze. Take a different liquid and squeeze. Try different liquids from different droppers. Try it with different hands and even different pressure with different fingers of the same hand. Weight theses drops. You are bound to come out with different weights.

You can get an average and roughly estimate what your weight per number of drops will be IF you always use the same dropper AND always use the same liquid AND think you always use the same pressure when you squeeze the dropper. But it's not an exact science.

I did it with ROE (very viscous) and came up with a 'good enough for me' weight per drop. Then one day realized I did not have the same dropper with me when traveling and that whole thing went down the tubes. I had to weight my ROE on my jeweler's scale all over again.
What was your weight per drop of ROE Earlene?

Volume of oils seems more than weight (being fairly light) so I reckon 2 or 3 drops per gram. So 10 grams would be about 20-30 drops overall for 3 cups salt.

The recipe calls for 10 drops per cup of salt, and I reckon I must have used only about 5-7, so I could probably increase that.

I was pondering this last night when I was trying to get to sleep. I think I'm getting lock-down brain because those numbers don't add up to needing more FO, they add up to needing less. But then my washing would be even less smelly!
I just did a wee experiment. I weighed 10g of Olive Oil. I then got a pipette and started using it to count out drops. i stopped counting at 40 and there was still well over half the oil left. So 10 g = more like 80 drops???

What was your weight per drop of ROE Earlene?
The ROE I weighed (not all ROE is equal, either) was 0.05 g per drop using the dropper I had in that bottle. I have since realized that when I travel, I cannot use that weight as I don't use the same bottle, which has a squeeze tip rather than a medicine-type dropper.

I used 20 drops per cup.
20 drops = 1 ml = 1 gram (approx) <<<NOT accurate but close enough in most scenarios.
20 drops X 3 grams = 60 drops

🤔 Hmmm.
Today I added another 1 ml/1 gram/20 drops per cup of an FO compatible to my EO blend.
I'll try the same 2 tablespoons per load to see what happens... after allowing it to set for a few days.

PS: It is already smelling strong in the container. :)

Latest posts

Back