FO Separation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsZ

Obsessive hobbyist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just soaped a new FO. My normal recipe, soaped with lye at 115 degrees f, my oils about 95. This is a little warmer than I usually soap, but I didn't expect it to be too bad. I wanted to do layers, so I soaped a little warmer so it'd set up quicker.

I brought it to emulsion, just barely a light trace. I split the batter, colored it, and added WSP Watermelon Mania FO. As soon as I did, it looked like it was starting to rice. I got it mixed together, then it seized. I barely got it smashed into the mold. I set it aside, then 15 minutes later there is liquid seeping out.

Do you think the FO separated out? It looks like about the amount of FO I put in. It isn't overheating, it reads 108 with the infrared thermometer.

IMG_20221030_180935495.jpg
IMG_20221030_180924651.jpg

It is supposed to be a watermelon soap. Red on the bottom, green layer on top. I think I got the colors way too exaggerated, though. Looks like something from Dr. Seuss. 😁

If I have to rebatch this, it'll be atrociously ugly!

I just checked the website. This FO is listed as causing "moderate" acceleration. I bought it last year, and didn't think to check the notes again today before soaping it.

I think I figured it out. I poured off the oil, and weighed it. The oil is unfragranced, so not FO.

I accidently poured too much of my RBO / castor oil mix from my batch oils to mix my micas. My thoughts are that since I added it after trace, it didn't blend in and separated out of the main batch.

I now need to know if the soap will be likely to be safe to use or not. It was only .5oz oils, out of a 32oz batch. (Yes, I know it was dumb to not test the fragrance with a smaller batch, but I wasn't thinking clearly about whether it was a good idea or not)

I posted in the "What soapy thing" thread, hoping for math help.

What does the oily stuff smell and feel like when you touch it? Often if it's the FO, you can smell it, and it doesn't feel as oily as a base oil.

Without knowing more, I'm going to put my money on the FO, not the extra oils you used to mix the micas. When I've had an FO rice and seize like that, it also ended up separating unless I let it start to gel in the pot, so I could stir it up some more before getting it into the mold. Even then, at times I've still had to dump it back out and hot process it.

You can blot it off the top of the soap, or let it sit and see if it reabsorbs. Often much of it will reabsorb in a day or so. Either way, the soap should be safe.

Thank you, @AliOop ! I just felt it. It is decidedly less oily than my base oils. It doesn't really have a smell, though.

I don't know why it was so hard for me to figure out today. Maybe soapmaking should be left for my less tired days!

Could be oils, FO, glycerin or water. Best thing to do it leave it and see if it absorbes back into the soap.
If it doesn't by the time the soap is ready to cut, dab it off with a paper towel and cut like normal. Maybe set the soap on a cookie sheet before cutting just in case it has liquid pockets inside.
Give it a good week after cutting then zap test it. I've never had weepy soap not be safe unless it overheated badly and made lye crystal caves inside the soap.

Could be oils, FO, glycerin or water. Best thing to do it leave it and see if it absorbes back into the soap.
If it doesn't by the time the soap is ready to cut, dab it off with a paper towel and cut like normal. Maybe set the soap on a cookie sheet before cutting just in case it has liquid pockets inside.
Give it a good week after cutting then zap test it. I've never had weepy soap not be safe unless it overheated badly and made lye crystal caves inside the soap.
Thank you! I cut it just a few minutes ago. It did have little liquid pockets inside. I'm pretty sure it didn't overheat, I checked it several times and it didn't crack or get over 110 F on the surface. I washed my (gloved) hands with it and it lathers really well. It looks scary, so I'll definitely wait a while longer to zap test it.

I haven't had a soap turn out so badly since my very first batch! Gotta keep me humble I guess. 😂

I like to think I've learned from this experience. I just read the reviews on this FO. Almost all CP soapers said that it seized, riced, separated and pooled oil on top. I'm going to try to remember to read reviews before buying and FO next time!

Awww sorry about that. We've all been there. I had one awhile back that I was sure was fine, because I hadn't marked it as naughty. But that was because I hadn't looked it up. DOH.

Well on the bright side, it sounds like you have yourself a new wax tart/lotion/bath bomb FO. ;)

Oh an hp FO. It still could have overheated on the inside if it has leaking cavities inside.
I didn't realize that. I figured the cavities were from me trying to smash it into the mold. :)

I bought a small bottle, and used all of it. I don't think I like the smell, so I probably won't buy this particular one again.

Latest posts

Back