FO separation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ugeauxgirl

Reaction score
I just made a batch of cold process soap with a new fragrance oil and after I added the FO and colored it, it started separating. I whisked it back together as best I could. Is there any chance it will re-absorb and look fine or am I going to have to rebatch it? I'm afraid to uncover it and look....

Did you get the batter properly emulsificated before you added color and fragrance?

Did you use a stickblender, or handwisked everything because you were afraid you would get in trouble in terms of using a new fragrance that could accelerate?

Without knowing the process, it may sound like you didn`t get the soap to emulsify enough before you added things in. Some fragrances can also slow trace, so if you didn`t get the batter well enough blended it could lead to separation.
Unless it is the fragrance itself that is pooling because it isn`t blended in enough. Can you check on it again and tell us what it looks like now? Is it worse than last time you checked?

It was at a thin trace before I added the FO, which I stick blended in- it looked all nice and creamy. Separated the batter, added colors- still looking good. Turned away to get the mold. Ugh- what happened?? Stirred with whisk, looked better, but every time I changed colors it relapsed. It looks even worse now. Covered with a pool of oil. I guess I'm rebatching. Dang it.

Thank you @Bubble Agent - I went back and checked and you were exactly right- the new FO does slow trace. Lesson learned. I rebatched it and it actually turned out very nice- FAR better than I expected when I scraped the oily chunky mess out of the mold!

Thank you @Bubble Agent - I went back and checked and you were exactly right- the new FO does slow trace. Lesson learned. I rebatched it and it actually turned out very nice- FAR better than I expected when I scraped the oily chunky mess out of the mold!

Yay, glad to hear it, well done and nice save!:hippo:

Latest posts

Back