FO...scent isn't strong enough

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divaknitting

Reaction score
I've been testing different FOs and suppliers and very few of my batches have turned out what I would call "strongly" scented. I've been sticking with .7 oz per lb rate. I've noticed at least a couple of my batches had a particularly hot gel...could that be burning off the fragrance?

Yes, many scents will burn off during gel phase. Also, you might want to do some research on scent blending.

Scents are divided into 3 categories:
high note
middle note
low note

The high note scents are citrusses & some florals. They just don't have much staying power. They are the first scent that hits the nose in a blend, then they fade back & you smell the middle & low note scents.

It's a good idea to blend those high note scents with a middle and/or low note, preferably the low note scents. They anchor the flighty high note scents.

Since I'm not using single note blends I don't think that is the problem...but good to know the heat from the gel phase could cause the fragrance to lessen. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it once I put it in the mold to try to get the optimal balance between gel and fragrance.

I think that the quality of oil has a lot to do with the staying power of the fragrance. When I began to make candles I was disappointed in the non- existant scent throw. I had to do a lot of research to find the best materials I could get. I don't have luck with scented soaps. I no longer try to scent them. Happy soaping!

I've had really good luck with Save On Scents fragrance oils sticking with my soap when I use them according to their recommendations. The Scent Works stuff is also strong and good. :)

FO isn't strong enough....

You know, I definitely think that a hot gel will burn off or change a scent. Sometimes I put my florals in the fridge to arrest gel. The problem is, I really like gelled soaps! I have lately been experimenting with a product called 'aromafix". It is supposed to anchor florals and citruses. So far, so good...but i am not far enough out yet in the cure to know if it really makes a difference.

I gel all of my soaps and the only ones that have faded out on me were the soaps that were scented with essential oils. My fragrance oil ones came through beautifully :)

Back