FO recommendation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevolutionSoap

Reaction score
I’m looking for a nice FO that is a marine/ocean scent but also a bit woodsie. If I could find one that smelled like driftwood and sea salt that may be perfect. Any suggetions?

Brambleberry’s Sea Salt smells like the beach at low tide, think seaweed, but with the faintest whiff of cantaloupe in the background. I like it because it smells authentic (I’m a marine ecologist) and I have friends who like it, but some reviewers on the BB site didn’t like it at all. It does not have a woodsy note.

These are "IFRA Maximum Skin Exposure Levels," that doesn't mean that you have to use that high of percentage. I used the WSSP fragrance calcualtor for Driftwood and Seasalt FO for CP soap, and came up with the recommended amount of 6%.

Brambleberry’s Sea Salt smells like the beach at low tide, think seaweed, but with the faintest whiff of cantaloupe in the background. I like it because it smells authentic (I’m a marine ecologist) and I have friends who like it, but some reviewers on the BB site didn’t like it at all. It does not have a woodsy note.

Does it have that whiff of decaying fish? I'm one of the few crazies that misses that scent.

Hope

The IFRA Maximum Skin Exposure Levels have nothing to do with scent strength, and more to do with how much you can probably use before it irritates your body under those conditions (some people are more sensitive than others and cannot use any fragrance regardless of its IFRA rates).
As noted on WSP's web page for each fragrance, many products will not perform if the full "safe" amount is used.

I like Abalone and Sea, and Aloe water and Sea Kelp. Crafters Choice from WSP. Cant say that either smell like dead fish though lol. Both are down by the beach ozone smell. The abalone smells more masculine though, I think. If you can get your head and mindset into walking into a gift shop in florida...thats what these scents remind me of.

I like strong scents, and both are very strong and too much. They are really nice at lower usage rates. Maybe like 4-5%. And the scent sticks well, even in salt bars that have been curing for more than 6 months.

Does it have that whiff of decaying fish? I'm one of the few crazies that misses that scent.

Hope
I agree with kelp/seaweed. I don’t detect decaying fish, but maybe others will pick up something slightly different. I also didn’t notice the weak to me melon note until someone pointed in out to me.

I've saw the abalone one on WSP in my search for a good FO. And while I love the ocean and I love abalone... The thought of the smell in a FO just doesn't sound right. :)

Last edited:
Back