FO question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsyAmerican

Reaction score
Question for you all for CP soapers- If I want to make a blend from something with a low usage rate, can I blend up to the max usage for the low one and add more of the higher one? So to get to a 5% FO load can I use say 2.25% of one (max for that FO) and another 2.75% of another?

I feel like I read or heard somewhere you can only use up to the max of the lowest usage FO. So could only use 2.25% for the entire batch even though it’s a blend.

I have done that before (use the max of lowest usage rate FO) and complemented it with another one. One thing to keep in mind is to use a different type or note of fragrance to reduce the risk of having the same ingredient at a high rate. For example, one blend I did was with pumpkin patch, in which the spice notes kept the FO at a very low usage rate. I would use a different type of fragrance for the blend (caramel and a citrus possibly), and not another spicy one.

I agree with @glendam. You would need to know the composition of all your fragrances and specifically what chemicals or compounds trigger low usage rates and then make sure that you blend doesn’t exceed it. As an example, Compound A can only used at 3.0%…ABC FO contains 2.75% of A and so to be safe, the usage rate is 3%. OPQ FO also has A in it, but only 1% so the usage rate for it is 5%. Simple math says 2.75 + 1.0 = 3.75 and that is over 3%. Of course you can toss in a little Algebra and figure out how much of OPQ you could use and not go over a total of 3%, but better to just use the KISS rule and use ABC at 3%.

I agree with @glendam. You would need to know the composition of all your fragrances and specifically what chemicals or compounds trigger low usage rates and then make sure that you blend doesn’t exceed it. As an example, Compound A can only used at 3.0%…ABC FO contains 2.75% of A and so to be safe, the usage rate is 3%. OPQ FO also has A in it, but only 1% so the usage rate for it is 5%. Simple math says 2.75 + 1.0 = 3.75 and that is over 3%. Of course you can toss in a little Algebra and figure out how much of OPQ you could use and not go over a total of 3%, but better to just use the KISS rule and use ABC at 3%.
what she said^^^ 🤣

I have done that before (use the max of lowest usage rate FO) and complemented it with another one. One thing to keep in mind is to use a different type or note of fragrance to reduce the risk of having the same ingredient at a high rate. For example, one blend I did was with pumpkin patch, in which the spice notes kept the FO at a very low usage rate. I would use a different type of fragrance for the blend (caramel and a citrus possibly), and not another spicy one.
Thank you so much

Thank you!

Thank you! 💚

Latest posts

Back