Fo problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regansoap

Reaction score
Hi everybody only meeeeee. Would like some advice please how you make cp soap if your batter rices really badly as soon as you put the FO into the batter I did not even sb the batter and it just went into lumps the FO was lemon so how do people make cp soap using lemon fo. The ricing was even worse than the pictures you show any ideas!! Cheers

Regan while I can't speak for that particular fragrance oil I have started warming a small volume of my oils before I add the lye solution to 100 F and add my FOs to that, then adding the FO to my oil/lye mix at light trace...so far so good...I didn't have ricing issues at the time, more an issue of acceleration

If it rices that badly, you might need to use it in HP or find a different FO supplier. Another option if you want lemon scented soap is to use lemongrass EO, it's well behaved in CP.

You didn't say what lemon FO you used, so I'm totally guessing here, but Obsidian may have made the right call on this one. I'm seeing reports about Lemon Zest FO from Sweetcakes being basically unusable in CP soap due to bad seizing/ricing and very fast move into gel. There are other lemony FOs that behave nicely, however. Also five-fold Lemon EO and Lemongrass EO are well behaved as well. I haven't tried any of these -- just reporting what others have said.

I have more than one fo than cannot be used in cp, instead I have to hp them. Sometimes you can sb it back together if it still seperates put a lid on for 10 min or so, sb, lid sb until you get it back together. I do have one I love and this is the procedure I have to follow to use in it cp

Thank you everyone the FO is from astor and Windsor in uk the lavender is the same - I'm really grateful for your suggestions and comments thank you.

I've had the same problems with some FOs i've bought in the UK, they're not tested for cp soap and end up in a horrible ricing mess! I try now to buy FOs designed and tested for soap, e.g. you can buy brambleberry FOs from you wish zeep in the netherlands. While some still do accelerate i've never had a completely failed batch from them!

Have you tried adding the FO to your oils and blending well before adding the lye solution?

I took a look today and I didn't get a warm comfortable feeling that Astor & Windsor markets their products to soaping hobbyists. The FOs I looked at on their website don't say anything about being suitable for use in lye soap and there were no reviews to check either. I think this is what you got? http://www.astorwi.co.uk/?product=fragrance-oil-lemon-250ml-1-litre I see they make and sell "soap" for handwashing, but I'm going to bet the product is a synthetic detergent blend, not a lye soap. Not sure I'd buy from them again without asking first if the FOs are okay for use in lye soap.

So far I've only had one ricing disaster...the batter that had already hit the mold before I recognized it separated but the rest I reblended with my SB before pouring and it was fine.

Hi DeeAnna I did speak to them and they said it was fine for soaping with but then again I suppose they would but thank you for making enquiries for me.

Hi DeeAnna I did speak to them and they said it was fine for soaping with but then again I suppose they would but thank you for making enquiries for me.

Maybe soap making in general? I'm thinking melt and pour would cause no issues. Perhaps they are ok for that application even though they are trouble makers in CP?

Osso -- you might have a point. If a company really doesn't know much about soap making (meaning the kind of soap made with fat and lye), they might think a synthetic detergent cleanser is the same as lye soap. Or as you said -- that melt and pour soap is the same as lye soap.

Thank you again DeeAnna for your kind and helpful replies. It seems that I am going backwards instead of forwards with my soap making I so want to make a lovely smooth bar and feel happy with it but I feel perfection is still a long way away I did master completely the melt and pour mind

Back