FO in Lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftySue

Reaction score
I made a mistake and want to try and save this lotion, I made 13 bottles at 5 oz each and put to much FO in it at 3 oz total. Can I save it and what can I do? thank you

You put in 3 oz fragrance? The only way to save it is to make enough extra lotion to dilute it down to a reasonable percentage or toss it. At a 2% usage rate you would have only needed 0.7%. You used 7.5% if I am reading this right. So you either count your loss or make a lot of extra lotion. You will need at least another 110 oz of lotion to fragrance at 2%. Better check my math since I have not had any coffee yet.

I am just curious if you have made lotion before, since that was a huge miss. Lotion is not something to just decide to make and give away or sell, without it being tested. Just curious because you should know the answer. Just saying...

I never scent my lotions more than 1-2%. So, with 65 oz of lotion you actually added almost 5% FO. 2 % would be 1.3 oz if my calculation is correct. First I would check the IFRA max recommendation for the FO. Second, the only way to fix it would be to make more lotion to account for that much FO which will be a lot of lotion.

You'll have to dilute it to reduce the % of FO in the lotion. The FO is currently at 4.6% of the product weight. What is the IRFA recommended safe maximum for this FO in lotions? And what percentage FO do you want in this lotion?

The other question to ask yourself is whether diluting the over-scented batch with fresh lotion is worth the trouble and potential risk of emulsion failure or preservative failure. Perhaps it would be best to just start over -- discard the first batch, make a new batch that's scented at the proper rate, and move on.

Shari and Carolyn beat me to the punch -- but we're all saying pretty much the same thing. I hope this helps!

Oops sorry, wrong on my math, told you I had not had any coffee :) I have diluted down lotion by adding more without emulsion failure, but the particular recipe is a very stable one. I had used the fragrance at 2% and the particular fo was way to strong. But as DeeAnna mentioned it is a risk and could be better to just toss it. Or another use for it is adding it to an emulsified scrub to make a creamy scrub.

yes, I have made lotion before , I have a family party tomorrow and need the help and i thank you all for helping me. I just read the line wrong.

Back