FO a high Usage Rate of 42%

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So It was my first time buying FO and I accidentally bought a fragrance with a high usage rate of 42%. Now I went to use it but I found out on line it said you shouldn't use fragrance with a usage rate higher than 5% so now I'm wondering what I'm going to use it for. My Question is can I still try to use this in my CP soap making and how much would I use. If I can't use it for my CP soap what else could I use it for I don't want to waste it.
20221117_122739.jpg

The usage rate is just measurement of how much is safe, not how much should be used. For CP, most people use 3%-6% so use the 5%, it a good amount for cp.
So I all so bought a chocolate FO and the usage rate said only 2.60% so I only put 2.60% in my batch and I find the sent came out very week does that mean I still could of used 5%. Sorry still so much for me to learn.

I was always confused with the high usage rates on some FO, Crafters Choice FO to be specific. If it is high like that, I usually assume that 6% (that I normally use) is fine. If it is a lower than 6%, well, I probably wouldn't even buy it, but if I did, then I would use their recommendation.

Essential oils are a whole different animal, so I am clarifying that I am talking about fragrance oils.

This was a good question. The responses kind of validated what I was doing lol.

Also...like @lsg said....check the reviews. Lots of good info there... and make sure it is soap-safe.

I was always confused with the high usage rates on some FO, Crafters Choice FO to be specific. If it is high like that, I usually assume that 6% (that I normally use) is fine. If it is a lower than 6%, well, I probably wouldn't even buy it, but if I did, then I would use their recommendation.

Essential oils are a whole different animal, so I am clarifying that I am talking about fragrance oils.

This was a good question. The responses kind of validated what I was doing lol.

Also...like @lsg said....check the reviews. Lots of good info there... and make sure it is soap-safe.
Thanks so much yah a made a couple of mistakes buying FO for the first time but I'm learning thanks so much to everyone helping me on this Forum. One place I buy from doesn't have reviews so that sucked a bit but most of their stuff I bought was good though. I have 2 other places I buy from and they had reviews and it will definitely be helpful next time I order.

This may be an FO you don't want to use in CP soap. I always check the reviews when purchasing FOs and EOs to see what the users say.
Yup I just checked out the reviews for this fragrance and everyone gave it a good review for soap making so I'm going to try it I will let everyone know if it turns out.

So I all so bought a chocolate FO and the usage rate said only 2.60% so I only put 2.60% in my batch and I find the sent came out very week does that mean I still could of used 5%. Sorry still so much for me to learn.
Never use more than the maximum recommended percentage. If it's a weak smell, then yes, more FO might improve the strength, but then it would not be safe to use. In addition, some scents are just weak - even if you were able to use more it doesn't mean to say they will be stronger, or have better retention over time. A good example of this is citrus scents ( not all, but most) which tend to not hold up well in CP soap. It's just the nature of the beast.
Customer reviews are always the best guide of what really happens when using an FO - but even then results can vary from soaper to soaper (depending on variables such as recipe used, temperature, length of time taken to make/pour the soap, level of trace etc).

So I tried the Bourboned Tabacco with a high usage rate and this is what happened. It was either the fragrance or it was the cp vanilla stabilizer I might of used to much either way my soap is oozing oil. Very disappointing but it's only my second or 3rd muck up I will have to make confetti soap with my muck ups I guess.

Attachments

• 20221122_162010.jpg
    20221122_162010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221122_161938.jpg
    20221122_161938.jpg
  • 20221122_161957.jpg
    20221122_161957.jpg
When you say you used a high usage rate, how high was it?
It was 42%.

Sorry to that that happened. I’d be so sad. It looked very nice, great blue color and color split. 🌸
Thank you when it stops oozing I'm going to grade it up and through it in some soap I thought the blue was nice too. It was a ultra marine pigment color.

As Obsidian said, the maximum usage rate refers to the usage rate that is skin safe. I don’t use more than 1 ounce PPO, which is roughly 6%. I think the highest I’ve seen used before it will start weeping/oozing. If a fragrance isn’t strong enough at 6%, I won’t buy it again. I’m sorry that happened to your pretty soap.

Did you also use the vanilla stabilizer at 42%? It might not be skin safe at that high rate, but I don’t really know.

As Obsidian said, the maximum usage rate refers to the usage rate that is skin safe. I don’t use more than 1 ounce PPO, which is roughly 6%. I think the highest I’ve seen used before it will start weeping/oozing. If a fragrance isn’t strong enough at 6%, I won’t buy it again. I’m sorry that happened to your pretty soap.

Did you also use the vanilla stabilizer at 42%? It might not be skin safe at that high rate, but I don’t really know.
Hi yes I used 6% of the FO and the smell was fine and good it just didn't work out I was hoping it wouldn't goto waste and I have enough left for one more batch but I might skip it for now. I also followed direction for my cp vanilla stabilizer it said 1part VS 2 parts FO. But it said if the vanilla percentage was more then 10% to put 1 part VS to 1 part FO. The Bourboned Tabacco was 10%. So I tried it at equal parts but I think I should of tried less. I'm not sure about the 42% is that what is that the amount usually used. I will need to keep that in mind for next time. 😌

I'm not sure about the 42% is that what is that the amount usually used.
I think we have had a miscommunication of sorts. When I asked how high your usage rate was, I meant what was the usage rate in your soap, not the safe to use rate indicated by the manufacturer. When you replied that it was 42%, I thought you used that much in your soap. 6% is fine to use. If you used 10% of both the Bourboned Tobacco and the VCS, that was likely what caused your problems, meaning the oozing. I use VCS at a rate equal to the FO without problems. The VCS is usually considered a proprietary formula so usually not much information is available with regard to what is in it, but the vendor should be able to tell you a safe percentage for use in soap. If you can determine that 10% is within the safe usage guidelines, you might be able to salvage it in some way. Good luck :)

When they give a usage rate it is per batch not per lb of oils so in reality, 6% in a full batch would be higher. I usually soap with 6-7% PPO because almost all my fo's were strong, but if I did buy some that had lighter usage rates I used the percentage by full batch weight and deducted a few percentages to account for water evaporation. For example, my normal batches were an approx total of 95 oz I usually used 4 oz fragrance if I used total batch weight I would use 5.6 oz and deduct 10% using 5 oz fragrance, most of my fo's did not require this much, and frankly I would find they would tend to leak out of the soap if I went any higher than 5 oz.

Back