Fly Safety

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGecko

Reaction score
No, that's not a typo. I was Master Batching around 200 oz of my 33% Lye Solution and had it cooling in cold water in the sink while I tidied up my soap cart, refilled containers, swept and mopped the kitchen floor (gotta love steam mops). When I went to the sink to see if the Solution was cool enough to pour into my gallon jugs, I found about a half dozen flies floating in the bowls. I don't like flies, but I kind of/sort felt bad...they know doubt thought "Oh wow, look at the size of those swimming pools!" and instead...instant death.

On another note, Pino aka "Fat Boy" has decided that the little black cat that moved into the neighborhood a few months is a deadly threat. At first I was worried about the little black cat, she's the same size as Sophie and Minnie Mouse and "Fat Boy" comes by his nickname honestly (he's not really 'fat', he's just a big cat), but given the amount of Pino's fur she had in her mouth, I'm now more worried about him. Especially since he went after me when I went to pick him after the other kitty took off. I now have an inch long scratch on the upper crease of my right hand.

Anyhoo...guess I'm going to have to bone up on 'fly' safety. 🤣

Well, now I wouldn't worry about the safety of the flies, so much as the fact that leaving the cooling lye solution uncovered. AND because I also hate flies in my house, I'd be beside myself if there was even one in the house, let alone a half dozen. I would have grabbed my fly swatter and been stalking flies before I'd make lye solution.

I hope Pino has calmed down and apologized to you for scratching, and that he now has a healthy respect for little black kitty. Smaller cats who can hold their own deserve respect.

Well, now I wouldn't worry about the safety of the flies, so much as the fact that leaving the cooling lye solution uncovered. AND because I also hate flies in my house, I'd be beside myself if there was even one in the house, let alone a half dozen. I would have grabbed my fly swatter and been stalking flies before I'd make lye solution.

Well I supposed I could have covered the bowls with paper plates, but that would have kept the heat in longer. As it was, it only took about 30-45 minutes for the Lye Solution to go from 225F to 150F and I was pretty much in the kitchen the entire time, along with having the house to myself as hubby and the cats were in the bedroom napping and daughter's door was closed.

I don't like flies either, but until hubby gets tired of swatting them and fixes the screen, I have to deal with them.

I hope Pino has calmed down and apologized to you for scratching, and that he now has a healthy respect for little black kitty. Smaller cats who can hold their own deserve respect.

He eventually came back...whining at the door to be let in like I had deliberately left him outside.

Latest posts

Back