Flub

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
So I decide to make cream soap last night .. using Snowdrift's method for making cream soaps. I followed the instructions very carefully (first time ever trying it) and all goes well. I was actually suprised at what an easy method this was. The texture's good, smells great, everything went as planned .. that is until I went to dispense the soap into the jars. Obviously there was something radically wrong ... I got a little on my arm and it burned like you know what (I'm normally not that sensitive to the raw soap). So I rinse it off and finish up and then sit down to make notes. Yeah .. it would have helped if I wouldn't have forgotten the almond oil!! :oops: Is there any way to save it or should I just pitch it ?? I swear .. sometimes I wonder how I remember my name :)

Maybe you could melt and dilute it in hot water and use it for laundry soap.....a little lye heavy will not be as crucial for laundry use.

I flubbed up last night too! man, what a mess!

I like rebatched soap. And I'm new to soap making so I'm not planning to invest a lot right away. I recycle anything I can for molds. I use potato chip cans, milk cartons, cereal boxes, etc. Well last night I cut a cereal box in half and was going to use the top half, you know the part we open to pour the cereal from? Well, I'm tired and not on the ball and I forgot to TAPE the cereal box top closed! I put everything in my rebatch just the way I like it, went to pour the soap, everything is ok until I picked the box up to start tapping it down and the bottom opens up and I have soap glopping all over the place. All was not lost though, I scooped it back up, put it back in the pan on the stove (I use the warm or lowest setting on my stove top) then warmed it back up and stirred it like crazy. This time I used the bottom half of the box and still tapped it up to be on the safe side. Oh well, live and learn, never make soap when you're tired!

I'm in on this thread. I don't get to make soap as often as I would like
and so it seems I make a mistake with every batch. I made my first salt soap yesterday and I forgot my mold was for 20 bars and I calculated for
12 bars. The soap is fine, the bars are just really thin.

I feel for you Ms. Brenda. :lol: :shock: :oops: :eek: :)

I really feel for both of you....LOL.

I have some flubs too...I've had stuff rice....total soap on a stick....separation, soap volcanoes....all that fun stuff. I think my favorite one recently was my Toasted Canola Laundry Soap. :lol: That one was a 2 day rebatching debacle.

LOL :D I'm glad I'm not the only one. I didn't think my husband would ever stop laughing... my hands are now peeling .. guess I'll have to make some lotion :) I just don't pay attention sometimes :lol:

I'll totally join this club. I don't think there is a soaper around who has never had a flubbed batch. :)
I've had to rebatch more times than I care to remember. LOL All good learning experiences though.
(at least that's what I keep telling myself. LOL)

Black soap n candle lady said:
Our little flubs some times makes the best soap. it is a learning process!

Very true....and if they don't....sometimes they make a really funny story! :)

That flub was for a small of coffee soap. So I not only waisted the lye, I had to dump some mighty strong coffee too.

When I realized I forgot to add borax, salt and sugar to the liquid before the lye, I thought, well what "if" I add it after the lye, my results was a mass of hard chunks that wouldn't dissolve. Than I wondered if I could strain it but my inner voice said, "better not" Just start over before I waist the good oils too!

Glad I started over. My batch of coffee soap turned out awesome! I think...

It's a little soft yet but I think within a couple weeks it should harden up and be fine. I only make hot process soap and I add extra liquid so it pours and molds nice.

MsB

Nope, not here. I never flub!! However it turns out, I decide that is how I meant for it to be. :lol: :lol: No one will ever find out about the 3# batch of hemp oil soap that I had to throw out.

Digit

digit said:
Nope, not here. I never flub!! However it turns out, I decide that is how I meant for it to be. :lol: :lol: No one will ever find out about the 3# batch of hemp oil soap that I had to throw out.

Digit

:lol:

It seems that I'm a pro lately at flubbing :lol: Lost another batch this weekend darn it :oops:

beachgurl said:
It seems that I'm a pro lately at flubbing :lol: Lost another batch this weekend darn it :oops:

Or...................you are working on becoming a pro for your rebatching method. :lol: :lol:

Digit

LoL .. there's no saving this one ... it's the FO that I used. What a fiasco. :) I CPOP'd... pulled it out the next morning and it was like applesauce. No big deal, let it sit some more, nothing. Went to turn the oven on to preheat it to make dinner and what a wonderful suprise :D ... I'd obviously dribbled soap when I was pulling it in or out. After I was done opening the windows because the smoke detectors were going off my whole house smelled like burned pumpkin spice cake .. lmao. I've made this recipe before (Avocado oil is really growing on me .. nice creamy lather) so I'm familiar with it .. only other variable was the FO which caused some SERIOUS ricing immediately. That's what I get for being too cheap !! The kids were screaming "fire fire fire" my husband was laughing too hard to open the windows and I just stood there .. dumbfounded .. lol

OMG :lol:

That's not funny but it is.

You could probably melt it again and stir it up and let it cool. Then you could shred it for laundry or dishes or general cleaning, but as a skin soap, it sounds like toast.

Back