Florida in-home business?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

She’sBubbly

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
good morning everyone :) We are relocating to Florida (Orlando area) and I can’t figure out what the rules are for manufacturing soap from home! I know I don’t need a permit there because it’s actual soap from scratch, but what about setting up manufacturing at your home, in a room specifically for soap making, with a separate sink etc specifically for soap.? Can anyone enlighten me?? I am so confused and feeling slightly discouraged🥺
Thank you guys!!
😘

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, the rules for cottage industry soap and cosmetics has changed in Florida from the extremely regulated to less so. Try Googling Florida's state agency sites for up to date info.

Here are some links for you, but I suggest you delve deeper (I don't live there.)

Also make sure you follow the Federal Regs as well, in fact the most stringent regulations (whether state or federal) are the ones that a business must follow. (Former nurse educator who was tasked with teaching staff which regulations were required in any given circumstance.)

So do your research with FDA, Consumer Safety Production Commission, and the FTC regarding the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act. And pay particular attention to what makes soap a cosmetic or a drug. Those come with additional regulatory requirements.