Floral inspiration - not 'nana'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've lost my floral mojo - I've done a lot of earthy, woodsy, warm type scents lately using woods ( sandal, ho and cedar) and lemon eucalyptus, patchouli, ginger etc. Time to lift the mood a little.
I like Love Spell and use that as a staple. I'm thinking EO blends or FOs that have a similar fresh/floral/fruity vibe that are not too nana-ish. Not a fan of lavenders, gardenias, jasmines....
Can anyone help out with some ideas?

I am really really loving Crafters Choice “pink grapefruit” FO sold by WSP. I keep smelling the cured bars. So far holding up well in CP 🧼.
Definitely fresh & citrusy not nana-ish 👵. :lol:
Interesting you should say - I've just pulled out a bottle of blood orange FO that I haven't tried yet. It smells grapefruit-y. Apparently it sticks quite well. Thought I might blend with some anjou pear for sweetness and a dash of patchouli as a base note.

Since I know you 💙 patchouli, what about patchouli-lime-vanilla with a tiny splash of rose? That's always a big hit around here. Don't have notes atm but I think it goes like this: lime 50%, vanilla 35%, patch 10%, rose 5%

Seventh Heaven from NS is good, too. Not sure if it is as "floral-y" as you want, but it definitely isn't "nana-ish." Here is their description if you want to play with the notes they mention: A big burst of lime is followed by notes of sweet and crisp bergamot oil. Fragrant frankincense (olibanum) and lemony litsea cubeba round out this blend. It's got a citrus kick, with a slightly smoky and resinous finish that makes this fragrance sweet + sultry. Everyone at Nurture Soap agrees this is one of the best scents we've ever smelled! Compare to Lush® brand Avocado Co-Wash™

If you can get Peche De Vigne from Oregon Trails (not sure if they ship internationally), it's a beautiful, soft, sweet but not too sweet peach with a hint of floral. They say it does include jasmine notes, but I don't smell that at all. Here is their description: ... combining top notes of white peach skin, leafy greens and raspberry with subtle floral heart notes of lily, jasmine and rose and a base of coconut milk and musk. Despite all those wonderful notes, this fragrance smells just like the juiciest, most-realistic peach fragrance you've ever smelled.

I’m not sure what you have or have available to you. I’m not a rose FO lover, but in my search for one to use for my MIL I tried Crisp Apple Rose from Bramble Berry. It was one that I liked well enough, and the apple really freshened up the Rose, which I usually find to be too heavy/perfumy. If you can find a heather, that is a very clean floral and blends well with just about anything. I used to think I didn’t like jasmine, but realized it’s gardenia that is too much for me. Jasmine can be lovely in a blend. I love blends that have some neroli notes. Lavender blended with a strong floral keeps said floral from overpowering and lifts the lavender. Just some thoughts.

Thank you all! Some lovely ideas here. I do a rose as standard - so I'm good there. And I'm not a fan of vanilla at all, although I love eating anything vanilla :p
Heather sounds interesting - I do like a fresh green floral.
I have rose geranium and some crisp apple - maybe I could try a blend of those?
I've just made my batch of Blood Orange/Anjou Pear/Patchouli at 60/27/13 and it smells great! It still smells like blood orange but not as 'sharp'.
ETA Oh, and @AliOop I want that peach! I love peach!

I LOVE OT's Peche de Vigne, but I've only used it in lotions. If I recall correctly, Irish Lass mentioned that it was a light scent in CP.
BB's Crisp Apple Rose is a very nice floral/fruity scent that sticks well.
WSP's Pink Grapefruit FO is very nice as well, but it does fade a bit after 6 months or so.
NS All Soul's Day FO is a citrusy lime scent that is amazing! I love this FO so much in CP soap!
NS Juicy Apricot FO smells exactly like an apricot to my nose - even down to that odd 'fuzzy' smell of the skin. I haven't soaped with this one yet, just lotion and deodorant.
I personally love the smell of honeysuckle but that might be on the 'nana' scent side? Same with orange blossom? Both of these are pretty old-school...
My favorite fresh floral for CP is Elderflower FO from Mad Oils (now Mad Micas). Sticks like a dream! I also love Hedonic Tonic, Velvet Peppercorn, and Wild Hyacinth.
https://arizona-mad-oils.com/

I like to blend Lovespell with rose. I suspect Lovespell would blend well with a lot of traditional florals to give the fruity/floral type.

I also do a soap where I use Honeysuckle for half the batter and Peach for the other. It still keeps the honeysuckle but also has that sweeter fresh scent.

Here’s my blood orange and Anjou pear soap cut:
1CF1215B-5279-465D-B699-5259B7BC7E4A.jpeg0CB20F96-983C-44FF-8ADD-0EAFE026EA31.jpeg

If you have access to Nurture, their Persephone's Kiss is a lovely floral. I also really like the dupes I've found of Daisy (Marc Jacobs perfume I think). It's a very bright floral, not at all heavy or clingy, if you get what I mean.

Back