Floating/Whipped soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1969

Reaction score
I want to try some whipped/ floating soap. Can I use only tallow? Or must I mix in a liquid oil?

Also, what would be the most foolproof? HP or CP?

We did a whipped/floating soap challenge a few years ago that might give you some ideas.

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-march-challenge-whipped-soap.58858/https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/smf-march-challenge-entry-thread-whipped-soap.59019/
I also wrote up a tutorial about how I made floating soap using a rebatch method -- Floating soap | Soapy Stuff I haven't tested this rebatch method with all types of bar soap, but it's my opinion that any finished soap should work, regardless of the fats in the soap.

I am.talking about from scratch. Just tallow, lye and some colourant?
First off, you've asked your question here; patience, please. There's no need to message users privately with a question you've asked in the forum already.

The thread @DeeAnna referenced has a lot of good information. Did you read through it? Try a small batch with just a lard soap, CP, see how you like it.

Yes, I read it all, and watched the videos. I specifically asked you because, from the entries, it seems as if you made a lard only one. Sorry, wont ask again.

Yes, I read it all, and watched the videos. I specifically asked you because, from the entries, it seems as if you made a lard only one. Sorry, wont ask again.
I understand that you are anxious and excited, but you will catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Threatening to take your ball and go home because you have been reminded of patience and basic human courtesy is childish. Folks here have lives you know...we are in different countries, different time zones...they work outside the home and/or have businesses to run and/or have families. And this is a major US holiday weekend...so folks are spending time with their families instead of playing on the Internet.

IF you actually read through the threads that @DeeAnna provided for you then you would know that you can make a Whipped Soap from scratch with just Lard (or Tallow) since key to making a Whipped Soap from scratch is having a greater than 50% Hard Oils. Of which, if you have any knowledge of soap making, Lard and Tallow IS defined as a Hard Oil.

I consider making Whipped Soap via Cold Process to be a more advanced technique because of the temperatures involved. It's a lot like making whip cream...there is a fine line between whip cream and whipped butter.

It wasn't a lard only soap. If you read the thread, I actually posted my recipe.

50% Lard
15% Coconut oil
10% Avocado oil
10% Mango butter
10% Olive oil
5% Castor

You can make a pure tallow whipped soap from scratch.

For the smoothest texture and the greatest whip height, try CP first
The tallow would need to be a little warmer than most CP whipped soaps, so use a higher lye concentration to help avoid gel
Change to HP if you can't whip it successfully.

The threads posted by DeeAnna contain video's on how to make whipped soap using CP,HP and rebatch

My very first batch of cp soap was accidentally floating soap. It was over 60% tallow and traced so fast that I accidentally overwhipped it. I imagine you could turn most any CP recipe into floating soap, but soaping101 had a great tutorial I watched afterwards, which is how I figured out what I'd done.

Latest posts

Back