Floating clear particles !!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanzclaire

Reaction score
Guys! Check out the pic as attached. It's a coconut / palm kernel/sweet almond and olive oil ev blend of liquid soap. I added glycerin and some EO after diluted .

And after a week, there is some particles( or I just realised now!)

Can anyone tell me if this is bacterias or did I do something wrong or is this normal?!

Thanks!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446186538.796006.jpg

A week would be really fast to grow bacteria, yeast, mold, etc large enough you could see really well. Especially in the pH of soap. I might be completely wrong so someone correct me if so. How does it smell? Is it a bit off (rancid) like you get with DOS?

I wonder if you've got a bit of EO separation. Did you use an emulsifier like PS80?

Many people sequester there soap for a week or two so that the insolubles or unsaponfiables settle out. There is also cloud point - when your soap temperature lowers to the point that the insolubles start to go out of solution, you will see cloudiness, ghosting, white dots, a white layer on the bottom - all of this goes away and clarity is restored as the temperature of the soap warms back up. Many things affect cloud point including the FO or EO used.

I still don't see the particles, even with my new glasses. But Faith is correct that lots of folks sequester their soap to allow particles to precipitate out. I tend to use oils that have few, if any, sort of particles to precipitate out. Some oils are just going to create them, though.

It could also be the temperature. I don't live anywhere that has temperatures low enough to cause cloud point, but I have certainly observed that happening in commercial products when I have visited colder climates.

If you had any sort of separation issue, you would have a layer of oils floating on top of the soap. I don't see that, unless the bottle in the foreground is full, and not colored. Then we have issues.

Sorry for my late reply guys! I have faced another issue!

I diluted the 100% Castile soap , then added 2% of glycerin and 2% of avocado oil , I emulsified my EO before adding to the mix.. Then strange thing happened ! My soap looks completely cloudy!

I had it sit over night. But still cloudy.

Anyone can explain if this is still usable and why would this occur ?

Thanks in advance !

I didn't Sussie, I only used the emulsifier with EO before adding to the diluted soap

To The EG: I used the Germany Basf one made with Castor oil I believe! I used it in ratio of 4:1 EO!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446983770.269719.jpg
This one is after the dilution with added Additives
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446983809.855952.jpg
This one is how the original looks like right after dilution with distilled water at ratio of 4:1

Can my soap be used ?
How come it turns out like this?
Thanks!

Back