Floating clear particles !!

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

nanzclaire

Reaction score
Guys! Check out the pic as attached. It's a coconut / palm kernel/sweet almond and olive oil ev blend of liquid soap. I added glycerin and some EO after diluted .

And after a week, there is some particles( or I just realised now!)

Can anyone tell me if this is bacterias or did I do something wrong or is this normal?!

Thanks!

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A week would be really fast to grow bacteria, yeast, mold, etc large enough you could see really well. Especially in the pH of soap. I might be completely wrong so someone correct me if so. How does it smell? Is it a bit off (rancid) like you get with DOS?

I wonder if you've got a bit of EO separation. Did you use an emulsifier like PS80?

FGOriold

Reaction score
Many people sequester there soap for a week or two so that the insolubles or unsaponfiables settle out. There is also cloud point - when your soap temperature lowers to the point that the insolubles start to go out of solution, you will see cloudiness, ghosting, white dots, a white layer on the bottom - all of this goes away and clarity is restored as the temperature of the soap warms back up. Many things affect cloud point including the FO or EO used.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't see the particles, even with my new glasses. But Faith is correct that lots of folks sequester their soap to allow particles to precipitate out. I tend to use oils that have few, if any, sort of particles to precipitate out. Some oils are just going to create them, though.

It could also be the temperature. I don't live anywhere that has temperatures low enough to cause cloud point, but I have certainly observed that happening in commercial products when I have visited colder climates.

If you had any sort of separation issue, you would have a layer of oils floating on top of the soap. I don't see that, unless the bottle in the foreground is full, and not colored. Then we have issues.

nanzclaire

Reaction score
Sorry for my late reply guys! I have faced another issue!

I diluted the 100% Castile soap , then added 2% of glycerin and 2% of avocado oil , I emulsified my EO before adding to the mix.. Then strange thing happened ! My soap looks completely cloudy!

I had it sit over night. But still cloudy.

Anyone can explain if this is still usable and why would this occur ?

Thanks in advance !

nanzclaire

Reaction score
I didn't Sussie, I only used the emulsifier with EO before adding to the diluted soap

nanzclaire

Reaction score
To The EG: I used the Germany Basf one made with Castor oil I believe! I used it in ratio of 4:1 EO!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446983770.269719.jpg
This one is after the dilution with added Additives
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1446983809.855952.jpg
This one is how the original looks like right after dilution with distilled water at ratio of 4:1

Can my soap be used ?
How come it turns out like this?
Thanks!