FLOATING Bath Bombs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone here have any real information on what makes a bath bomb float vs sink? I've been making hearty sinkers for a while now but I'm curious to see if I can make floaters!

I use coconut oil and rubbing alcohol as my liquid, I use cornstarch as I've heard that can help it float but I'm not so sure that's true.. So far I've gotten some little ones to float, but that's probably because of their weight--or lack of.

Does anyone have a "floater" recipe they've been using? I'd be so thankful if you were to share it, just so I can see if anything big is different between them.

my recipe is generally-
2 Baking Soda
1 Citric Acid
1 Cornstarch and other fillers (sometimes I like to use coffee grounds or coco)
4-6 TBSP coconut oil (depending on how moisturizing I want them)
25-40 Essential Oil drops (depending on the scent's strength)

I will love any and all information and suggestions.

It's probably the amount of coconut oil and the size of the bath bomb. Cornstarch does help it float, I've noticed a decrease from 10oz to 8oz when I added the cornstarch to mine. I'm pretty sure if you add half to two-thirds the amount of coconut oil you're adding and still be able to mold it properly. Also, there are special molds that help them float, but didn't test one out yet. Also, try packing them more loosely.

"my recipe is generally-
2 Baking Soda
1 Citric Acid
1 Cornstarch and other fillers (sometimes I like to use coffee grounds or coco)
4-6 TBSP coconut oil (depending on how moisturizing I want them)
25-40 Essential Oil drops "

I think I would totally drop coffee grounds.

exfoliating coffee scrub bombs.

Do you scrub while th bomb is fizzing? Isn't that just a foaming scrub? This seems a bit confusing to me but if you explain it, it will probably click and make sense.

Without knowing what a "scrub bomb" is the coffee just adds weight and another thing to clean out of the tub.

So, I tried making a recipe forgoing the oils altogether.
They still sank.
Maybe it's the way I'm packing these things? I like to pack as much in as possible, but maybe that's not the best way.
Any packing advice?

Do you scrub while th bomb is fizzing? Isn't that just a foaming scrub? This seems a bit confusing to me but if you explain it, it will probably click and make sense.

Without knowing what a "scrub bomb" is the coffee just adds weight and another thing to clean out of the tub.

Nope! Once all fizzed the grounds will stick to you (and, unfortunately, the side of your tub) you can scrub away and relax and finish up with a quick rinse in the shower once you're done. I know some people hate cleaning up the tub afterwards but rinsing off your body and the tub at the same time isn't such a big deal to me. Everyone I give them to I tell for sure they'll have to rinse the tub afterwards :p I love the exfoliation though

"Is there a reason, Luviesmom?
I like to make exfoliating coffee scrub bombs. "

Yes, have reasons. If I have time to take a bath, it should be fun or relaxing. I don't want to fish petals from the drain or scrub coffee grounds from tub or from my body/hair. I do not believe the amount of coffee grounds in a bath bomb could have any therapeutic value. Just my opinion.

Nope! Once all fizzed the grounds will stick to you (and, unfortunately, the side of your tub) you can scrub away and relax and finish up with a quick rinse in the shower once you're done.

I thought that's the direction you were headed in. One of my cats chooses bath time to get some 1 on 1 with mom so if I add too much I get to clean up kitty puke later in the day. It's easier to control kitty contact if there are two separate products.

"Is there a reason, Luviesmom?
I like to make exfoliating coffee scrub bombs. "

Yes, have reasons. If I have time to take a bath, it should be fun or relaxing. I don't want to fish petals from the drain or scrub coffee grounds from tub or from my body/hair. I do not believe the amount of coffee grounds in a bath bomb could have any therapeutic value. Just my opinion.

That's a good tip, thanks for your opinion! I know cleaning the tub after certainly isn't for everyone (no one, maybe) and with this one you do have to be careful not to get your hair in. :)

That sounds like a LOT of oil. I use 2 tablespoons with six cups BS and three cups CA. My bombs spin and float.

I might be wrong - and given I have a love/hate relationship with bath bombs - but I think its the coconut oil thats making them sink.

I agree with this. Coconut oil makes them very heavy.

I found at my local store 100% processed coconut, vitamin E, and argan oil, that I would never use in the soaps, but are amazing for the bombs, and way lighter.

I agree with this. Coconut oil makes them very heavy.

I found at my local store 100% processed coconut, vitamin E, and argan oil, that I would never use in the soaps, but are amazing for the bombs, and way lighter.

Thanks! Maybe I'll try experimenting with different oils. I made one batch without ANY oils though and they STILL sank. Maybe I need oils but a less dense oil?

I actually did manage to change my recipe and finally get them to float. I used much more cornstarch and packed them a lot lighter.

That sounds like a LOT of oil. I use 2 tablespoons with six cups BS and three cups CA. My bombs spin and float.

Do you use cornstarch as well? Or any other type of filler?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back