Flaxseed Gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babyshoes

Reaction score
I've just seen the below video, in which flaxseed Gel is used in soap to apparently improve the feel of the soap.

I'm curious if anyone else has used it before? If so, what did you think of it?

Following... Been wanting to make some flaxseed gel for some hair gel and would mind using it in soap as well...

Good find! So many things to say!
  • Throw the spent flaxseed into bread dough!
  • Pro tip for scooping semi-hard oils out of containers: place the container on the scale, tare, and measure how much you have removed. Then you don't have to take out fats from your oil mix (like she did with the shea butter)
  • Why oat oil? Why not flaxseed oil?
  • I love how she switches between °C and °F with her laser thermometer. Nobody can complain!
  • Is she mixing the batter in a … glass … bowl???
  • First I wasn't sure how much or little flax gel she really would use … with the NaOH dissolved in water; it's a solid 35% lye in the end, and gel from 1.0%TOW flaxseed.

Here is the recipe listed after the video. It lists the amount of flaxseed gel she used.

Recipe: Recipe calculated with: https://soapee.com/calculator
Oils:
180 g olive oil (30%)
60 g oat oil (10%)
42 g castor oil (7%)
168 g coconut oil (28%)
30 g cocoa butter (5%)
120 g shea butter (20%)
Lye solution:
102 g distilled water
88.8 g sodium hydroxide (82.8 g if not using citric acid) (45% lye concentration, 6% superfat)
Additives: 1
0 g citric acid
65 g flaxseed gel
8 g annatto seeds, infused
10 ml fragrance oil
Cure the soap for about 4 weeks before using it on your skin. ○ Citric acid information When citric acid and sodium hydroxide lye (NaOH) are combined, sodium citrate is created. Sodium citrate works as a chelator in soap. A chelator traps metal ions such as calcium and magnesium that can be found in tap water. These metal contaminants can cause rancidity and soap scum in handmade soap. A chelator binds to these metals so that they can’t bind to the soap molecules. This way the soap won’t react with them and the soap's lather improves + shelf life increases. Citric acid does not lower the pH of soap. Instead it consumes some of the lye and increases the superfat. Add 6 g extra lye for every 10 g of citric acid added to a soap recipe if you want to keep the superfat % at the same level. How much citric acid should be added to soap? Usage rate in bar soap is 1-2% of the oil weight. How to use citric acid Add citric acid to the distilled water and dissolve completely before adding the lye, or make a separate solution of citric acid and distilled water and add to the oils.

Well, I tried the flax seed gel and I like it! I made two lots of soaps with exactly the same recipe. One had flaxseed gel and the other one didn't. There is a noticeable difference with the flax seed gel. It has more lather and it also feels nicer. I don't know whether I am truly objective though... I should give them to somebody to try.

I came across that same recipe last week and made these...

Flax and Sandalwood soap (1).png

They're still curing yet and I don't really want to cut off a piece to try it but I'm really looking forward to trying it. I scented this one with Sandalwood FO.

Here is the recipe listed after the video. It lists the amount of flaxseed gel she used.

Oils:
180 g olive oil (30%)
60 g oat oil (10%)
42 g castor oil (7%)
168 g coconut oil (28%)
30 g cocoa butter (5%)
120 g shea butter (20%)
Lye solution:
102 g distilled water
88.8 g sodium hydroxide (82.8 g if not using citric acid) (45% lye concentration, 6% superfat)
0 g citric acid
65 g flaxseed gel
10 ml fragrance oil
Cure the soap for about 4 weeks before using it on your skin. ○ Citric acid information When citric acid and sodium hydroxide lye (NaOH) are combined, sodium citrate is created. Sodium citrate works as a chelator in soap. A chelator traps metal ions such as calcium and magnesium that can be found in tap water. These metal contaminants can cause rancidity and soap scum in handmade soap. A chelator binds to these metals so that they can’t bind to the soap molecules. This way the soap won’t react with them and the soap's lather improves + shelf life increases. Citric acid does not lower the pH of soap. Instead it consumes some of the lye and increases the superfat. Add 6 g extra lye for every 10 g of citric acid added to a soap recipe if you want to keep the superfat % at the same level. How much citric acid should be added to soap? Usage rate in bar soap is 1-2% of the oil weight. How to use citric acid Add citric acid to the distilled water and dissolve completely before adding the lye, or make a separate solution of citric acid and distilled water and add to the oils.
I caught that video a few days ago and went crazy ordering all the ingredients I didn't have. I so want to make it. :) Just waiting for the annatto seeds.

Lovely color soap. I'm not a yellow lover but that is really nice and the music is so soothing.

I've just seen the below video, in which flaxseed Gel is used in soap to apparently improve the feel of the soap.

I'm curious if anyone else has used it before? If so, what did you think of it?

Oils:
180 g olive oil (30%)
60 g oat oil (10%)
42 g castor oil (7%)
168 g coconut oil (28%)
30 g cocoa butter (5%)
120 g shea butter (20%)
Lye solution:
102 g distilled water
0 g citric acid
65 g flaxseed gel
10 ml fragrance oil
I found this tutorial but was not able to find in the detail what are the measuring ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to see if anyone has made this recipe. If so, it would be nice to read anyone’s thoughts after making the soap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also tried flax gel recently. Not the same recipe as Tellervo did, I don't own so many oils. But I added more flax gel because I really wanted to see what it does in soap. They are still curing. I will report back when I'll test them.
Also, does any one knows why my turmeric powder turned brown in the batch ? I also used a tiny amount in my honey soap and it turned out yellow.
I'm not complaining since I find that light brown actually fits better with the flax theme, just wonder what happened.
IMG_20231114_160849.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @dibbles.
I'm looking forward to trying them. If I end up liking how they feel, that will be one cheap additive I'll enjoy using 😁 (even though it's quite time consuming to extract).

Last edited:
does any one knows why my turmeric powder turned brown in the batch ? I also used a tiny amount in my honey soap and it turned out yellow.
1 teaspoon tumeric powder added to the lye water then strained before adding the lye to the FAs gave me a pretty yellow in my 67% Shea Butter CP

1701120737401.png

Your guess is better than mine as to why it turned brown, although it does happen with various spices and botanicals. Maybe it has to do with whatever else is in the mix that it interacts with. Flaxseed gel may well be the reason it went that direction. Not sure. :smallshrug:

Tried them and like them ! I do find that there is a silky feeling to them. But as I haven't been soaping for a very long time and haven't tested all my soaps yet, I don't know if this silky feeling is due to flax gel or the recipe (which I can't put my hand on right now :mad:). I will definitively play with flax gel again. And this batch is going to be included in my Christmas gifts. I can't wait to get feedback on them.

Back