Flaxseed extraction method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
I want to access as much of the omega fatty acids and other nutritional benefits from flaxseeds as possible, if at all possible.

I figure I can either 1) add ground flaxseed meal into the lye water, base oils or emulsified batter ... or 2) do a slower extraction with very lightly heated oil (in which case, I suppose I should toss the flaxseed meal afterwards).

If I used the same weight of flaxseed meal to oil, which of these methods and variations will give me the best outcome please?

Also, when I do batches involving salt brine lye water, I notice that the minerals breakdown the mucilage that the flaxseeds would produce otherwise. Does this indicate that the minerals somehow destroy the nutrients in the flaxseed?

I want to access as much of the omega fatty acids and other nutritional benefits from flaxseeds as possible, if at all possible.
I buy flaxseed oil at a local vitamin cottage to use in liquid soap and leave-on products like suntan oil. Wonderful stuff for skin and hair! I don't know of a DIY way to extract FAs from seeds that would be as cost-saving in time and money and as good as buying the cold-pressed oil ready made. :)

I figure I can either 1) add ground flaxseed meal into the lye water, base oils or emulsified batter ... or 2) do a slower extraction with very lightly heated oil (in which case, I suppose I should toss the flaxseed meal afterwards).

If I used the same weight of flaxseed meal to oil, which of these methods and variations will give me the best outcome please?

Also, when I do batches involving salt brine lye water, I notice that the minerals breakdown the mucilage that the flaxseeds would produce otherwise. Does this indicate that the minerals somehow destroy the nutrients in the flaxseed?
What is your desired outcome? (re: how to get the best outcome)

You could buy flaxseed oil and add meal to it for more omega 3's if that is important to you.

Still, just curious as to why the goal of maximum omega3s in soap? Are you planning to make a brow shaping soap, which does remain on the skin for an extended period of time, which then becomes a cosmetic per US standards.

Back