Flax Seed Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Awhile back I was going to try and introduce flax seed into my sons (and daughters) diet for medical reasons, but sadly neither one will eat it when it's ground into a fine powder and mixed with other foods. (I've made A-Z bread with it and they never knew but i can't have them eating cake every day to get it.) LOL

Anywho, my parents farm, and so my dad went into his grain bin (with cleaned flax seed) and took out two big coffee can's for me. And I haven't used much at all, because neither kid will eat it.

So my question is does anyone else use flax seed (ground or whole) in their soaps? What would be the best way to add this to soaps (or other B&B products?

So should I try to find another use for all this flax seed that I have.

I don't know what benefit it would have in soaps. I feed it (ground) to my horses for shiny coats/healthy hooves. Why not take it yourself?

You can use flax seed for heating pads. Buy some fabric and cut out either square or a shape like a "C" for a neck roll. You pop these in a microwave for 1-2 mins. Flax seed holds the "moist heat" for quite a while. And instead of heating pads, pop them into a freezer for cold packs. Kat

Flynn said:
I am worried about rancidity as I seem to remember reading that once the seeds are ground, they oils oxidize and go bad fairly quick. . . .

Yes, they do. Mine come pre-ground, and I store them in an opaque container in the freezer.

I share your difficulty. I tried it myself but it tastes too much like furniture oil to me. That smell - it comes through everything!

My oldest daughter will eat it when cooked in peanut butter cookies made with molasses & turbinado sugar for sweetening. I can't fool my other two children, though.

I tried a very little of the oil in a soap I made yesterday for acne-prone skin. It isn't too bad, but this was a test batch & I only used 3 ounces. I used green tea/witch hazel 3:2 ratio for the liquid & 4:2:1 ratio canola, sweet almond and flaxseed oil. I used fresh snipped rosemary to scent it, which is strong and seems to help mask the "varnish" smell. (If I had had some I would have included a bit of rosemary EO to bring out that scent). I'm hoping after it sits awhile that only the rosemary smell will remain.

You might try a small batch of an oatmeal recipe and use the seed in place of the oatmeal to see what you think. I've still got a cupful I need to dispose of, so if you find something acceptable, post it! :D

we take flax seed oil...you need to take less of it than you do the ground flax seeds. you might be able to mix the oil in small amounts into other foods, salad dressing? drizzle it over veggies in place of/in addition to butter? also, a lot of products (OJ, soy milk, etc) are including the omegas now which is the beneficial stuff in flax. and there are a lot foods that have omegas: walnuts, fish...

do they make flax seed oil in pill form? i don't know how they are with taking pills....i put ground flax seed in yogurt sometimes.

I make a soap with flax seed. The soap is tannish in color from the coconut fragrance oil that I use. The flax seeds look nice sprinkled throughout the soap- just a little bit for looks. I don't think there's any other benefit- but sometimes beauty can speak for itself :)

Back