Flax seed oil facts?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzimm

Reaction score
I severely brain-you-know-what-ed and instead of ordering one 16oz. Bottle of flax seed (linseed) oil, I ordered 5! I only wanted to try a little in a recipe that called for it, but now I'm going to have to come up with a way to use it up, short of slipping it into my family's food to loosen them up, lol!
What does flax oil contribute to cp soap? What percentage can it be used? The only soft oils I regularly use are olive, corn, castor, and sometimes sunflower or rice bran. Does flax oil "behave" like any of those?
Also, the expiration date is 1/2018---but I have read that flax oil has a short shelf life, and 2 years doesn't sound so short. Should I store it in the fridge? Can it be kept in the freezer?

I don't know how it works in soap, but I know it works well to season cast iron pans. It should be kept in the fridge. The one store that sells it in my town has it in the cooler.

I don't know how it works in soap, but I know it works well to season cast iron pans. It should be kept in the fridge. The one store that sells it in my town has it in the cooler.

Well that's awesome to know! One of the many hats I wear is Camp Chef when my family and I go on our yearly camping trip. I love dutch oven cooking, but those big ol' pots get mighty scuzzy in storage waiting for the next year to roll around. I think it's the vegetable oil I coat them with, it seems to break down and attract mold, which invites rust.

Back