Flavored oil vs. Fragrance Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cindy B

Reaction score
I accidentally purchased a flavored oil instead of fragrance oil. Can I still use it in CP soap? Brambleberry site does not recommend, however, I'd still like to try it if possible.

You could try a small batch to see what happens. However, if they don't recommend it, they probably tested it and it didn't work well. I've got a ton of flavor oils but only use them for lip balm, the bottles are so small and fairly expensive in comparison to FO's.

I accidentally purchased a flavored oil instead of fragrance oil. Can I still use it in CP soap? Brambleberry site does not recommend, however, I'd still like to try it if possible.
I would say no. There are flavoring oils that can be used for skin contact for example, wholesale supply plus has a bubble gum flavoring oil that is safe at 100% strength, according to their description. Bramble Berry is a reputable site and if they say no, then there is a good reason for not using it in soap. I recommend that you try one that is recommended for soap and don't even try a test batch.

Like others said, it won't leave any scent in the soap. Depending on what it's made of, could contain alcohol which could also thicken or seize your soap (depending on how much was used)

NO, I did the same thing by accident and didn't realize it was a flavored oil until I had already added it to the soap. The scent didn't carry through the soap process. I ended up using what was left to make lip balm.

Thanks for all of your opinions and information. I will use it for lip balm instead. It will give me an excuse to make some :)

Back