Flavor oils in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iseleigh

Reaction score
I did some looking through the forums and Google searches but didn't find an answer to whether flavor oils (like Lor Ann) can be used in soap. People seem to use them in everything else though. If it's safe to eat it should be skin safe correct? Just make sure there is no alcohol in whatever is going in the soap batter? Anyone have experience using flavor oils in CP soap?

Most flavor oils do contain alcohol (I've never found any which did not contain some sort of alcohol) which can make soap seize. On top of that the scent will not survive saponification, unless used in high amounts, which again, seize.

If it's safe to eat it should be skin safe correct
Not necessarily - a good example that comes to mind is cinnamon. Although, yes, technically it's skin safe, it is only safe in very very low %'s.

I hit the post button too fast or this would have been put in my reply above

Most flavor oils do contain alcohol (I've never found any which did not contain some sort of alcohol) which can make soap seize. On top of that the scent will not survive saponification, unless used in high amounts, which again, seize.
Well poo. Back to fragrance oils I guess. I hate having to order so much stuff online without being able to smell it first.

Latest posts

Back