Flashpoint Clarity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, folks.

I always feel like I'm hitting and running when I post. Truth is I don't post a lot because there are so many people here with better answers than me ;-)

And is is the case with today's question, I'm worried about passing on misinformation.

I thought that flashpoints were the temperature at which a FO/EO would essentially burn off and leave no scent.

Recently, Chefmom corrected me on this in a candle thread.

Each fragrance has a flash point....yes. This is the point at which the fragrance will ignite...in the air. Only if there is an ignition source. So if a fragrance's flash point is 150* you need to have your kitchen be 150* with an ignition source and an airborne fragrance to have an issue. When you add this fragrance to a wax, it combines with the wax and this changes the flash point.

So my question is are candles and soap different animals or do I not have to worry about the temperature consuming my EO/FO in soap as much as the lye monster?

I don't mind reading up on it if anyone can direct me to a good article or post.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It is the same with soap. Although you will have fading with heat it doesn't disappear. Think of how many people CPOP soap. The temperature is 170 degrees in the oven, but the scent doesn't just evaporate, or thankfully, ignite!

Flash points are more important for shipping the product safely.

Flashpoint, as others have stated, is when the airborne FO will ignite when exposed to an open flame. However, FOs with low flashpoints are more likely to fade when exposed to high temperatures than FOs with higher flashpoints

I wrote this awhile back -- it might help a bit in this thread:

Flash point is the temperature at which a combustible or flammable substance will burn if exposed to a flame (not a spark -- it has to be a flame). The material will burn as long as it is at or above its flash point temperature AND a flame is present, but the fire may stop if the flame is removed.

The flash point enters into safety during shipping and storage, because a low flash-point material in a fire can make the fire much worse. That is why there are often hazardous material charges or restrictions on shipping low flash point materials. When the material is mixed with other stuff, like soap for instance -- the flash point of that one ingredient does not apply to the whole.

Flash point can be used as a rough measure of how volatile a flammable substance is. Bear in mind that not all volatile substances are flammable, so flash point isn't an absolute measure of how fast a material evaporates. For example, water is not flammable, but it is volatile (evaporates easily).

Many people use the flash point as the temperature at or below which they can "safely" add fragrance to soap. I don't pay any attention to that -- the flash point temp in this context is pretty much meaningless. When mixed into the soap, the fragrance won't burn for one thing. For another, one shouldn't be mixing fragrance into soap batter close to open flame. And finally, fragrance, even if it is below its flash point, is still going to evaporate -- the warmer the soap, the faster the evaporation.

My goal, whatever the fragrance, is to add it at the coolest temperature I can manage. And keep in mind evaporation isn't all bad -- if a fragrance didn't evaporate into the air, you couldn't smell it!

Back