Fizzy bath salt...turned into no fizz blob?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deangello

Reaction score
Please help! I made fizzy bath salt last weekend (1/2 cup epsom salt, 1/4 cup baking soda, 1/8 cup citric acid, WSP bath bomb powder, 8 drops of EO). I used it yesterday and there was no fizz and it had solidified into a blob (used a spoon to scoop it out). It was stored immediately in a glass jar with a tight lid after I made it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Sounds like it reacted in the jar which would explain why there wasn't a chemical reaction in the tub because it was already neutralized. The culprit is likely the EO.

What you can do is add the EO to everything but the CA, mix well, and dry out on a baking sheet. If you live in humidity you'll have to use a fan or dehumidifier because I've found no matter what I do moisture finds its way into my mix. Just before packaging, mix in the CA. Hopefully by this time the EO will have fully absorbed into the mix so it won't trigger a reaction. However, I've found that even opening it up next to a hot bath and closing it again is enough moisture to cause it to react in the jars. What worked best for me were smaller single serving packaging options.

I see now you're also in FL. This will likely be an ongoing problem for you. Sadly I've been unable to make bath bombs or bath salts work for me here without there being a constant battle with humidity. Some people on here fare better with the humidity so it is possible and there is great advice to be had when doing a search through older posts. Bath melts did well for me and still provide fizz while also giving some nice moisturizing qualities to the bath. Interested to hear how others battle the humidity. I felt this post deeply, good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply and advice! I will try your suggestions this weekend and hopefully have better luck.

Back