Fizzie frustration....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have been trying in vain to make bath fizzies.

How on earth do you do this without making the citric acid fizz up???

How long do you leave it in the molds?

Mine come out crumbly.....I finally just jarred my bath fizzie mixture.

How do you get the darn things to hold their shape???
:x

Fizzie frustraton

It was one that I found on this site, actually, that someone said she had success with.....

½ tsp. liquid soap dyes or food coloring
½ tsp. Fragrance oil or blend of Essential oils
1 ½ cups baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
3 tablespoons Bubbling Bath Flake (sodium laurel sulfoacetate)
¾ cup citric acid
Spray mister filled with water or witch hazel

Mixing

Place your fragrance and dye in your bowl first. Next add the baking soda and bubbling bath flake. Mix well together. Add your citric acid last. Note: you don't want to add the citric acid to the liquids as it will cause the citric acid to react. Stir mixture together with a spoon to disperse the fragrance and dyes. Blend the entire mixture with your hands until the color and dye are evenly dispersed and the mixture begins to hold its shape in your hand when you press it together. If you find your mixture is too dry and not holding it's shape, spray one or two mists of either water or witch hazel. Blend your mixture some more. You may need to repeat this step a couple of times to get the consistency you need to mold your bath bomb.

Molding

Take a handful of your bath bomb mixture and pack it tightly into your mold. Level off the back of the bomb, trim off any other excess mixture and flip out onto a waxed lined cookie sheet or other flat surface that is lined with wax paper. Allow your bath bomb to set up for one day.

If you find your bath bombs are sticking in the mold, chances are you may have too much water in them. Lightly dust the inside of the mold with baking soda and pack a new bomb in again. One customer told us that she sprays a cloth with cooking spray and wipes the inside of the molds which works for her.

If you find your bombs are crumbling, you probably need to add one or two mists of water and mix well again. Be careful not to over mist.

I am about to start bath fizzies using and I would like to find a recipe that uses Epsom Salts... I have not tried them yet, still looking for a recipe that makes me happy.... But it sounds like with Fizzies, it is either hit or miss :oops:

The basic bath bomb recipe is:

2 part baking soda
1 part citric acid
1 part *other * dry ingredients (sls flakes, corn starch, epson salt, etc)
(it is the baking soda/citrus combo that makes the fizz when water is introduced)

Then you need to decide if you want to use oil (olive, apricot, suflower,etc)or witch hazel as your wet ingredient.

I have never made witch hazel bombs so I can not really help there.

If you use oils you make them just like you make run balls. You add oil & add il to the dry mix untill you have enough you can make a ball out of them & allow them to dary 5-7 days.

Humidity can cause your bombs to mold or never harden.

Did you use water in the spray bottle? Water is what sets off the fizz as will a water based colorant.

fizzies

Thank you so much!!!! I will try that recipe using water and see what happens....

NO! I suggest NOT using water, since water is what makes it fizz, if you use water when you make it, it'll fizz then. You don't want it to be introduced to water untill you drop it in the tub.

I make my bath bombs and use witch hazel that I keep in a spray bottle. The trick is to get your mixture moist enough to stick together, but not enough to set off the reaction of the citric acid and baking soda.

I use my kitchen aide too when making them; it helps to stir your mixture fast when adding your oils or liquids so as to not to allow the mixture to get so wet that it starts to fizz. I slowly add my oils and fo to the dry mixture as my KA is going. Once this is incorporated, I will spritz the mixture with my witch hazel until it is moist enough to stay together in a ball. I use to use the meatballers but did not care for them. I had more of my bombs come apart when trying to unmold. I bought some clear Christmas ornament balls that work great. I have 2 different sizes. The balls are cheap so you can buy quite a few at once. If I have trouble getting a bomb out of the mold, I will leave it for a few moments to set up a bit in the mold and try again to unmold. I have enough balls that I can keep going making lots at once.

Oceanmember, I pm'd you that I used only witch hazel and no water when I made that recipe and to tell you the truth it really did not take alot of witch hazel. Then I packed them pretty tight and made sure not to twist the ball mold. I just gently pried it apart and they turned out great. Good Luck.
That was my first and only time to make them. I want to try again.

What size does everyone do their fizzies at? I have been seeing places that sell them as big as 6 ounces!

I have seen those fizzies that are as big as a babies head.

I make mine the size of an apricot & most of my customers break them up & get 2 baths out of one fizzy.

I guess I was looking at LUSH at their fizzies are something like 6 ounces...and the smaller ones they sell are 3oz...Sounds like everyone mainly likes the big "baby head" ones... :?

I like the smaller ones, personally....breaking them up is a good idea!

Back