Fixing LS that tests cloudy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poramor

Reaction score
Although I've used the formula many times, this time when I test the soap base in distilled water, it turns cloudy. I don't know what went wrong. I tried adding more koh to part of the soap base and heating it but the test continues to result in cloudy water. What can I do? The formula was done using soapee soapee, with 1250 gms castor oil, 1610 gms coconut oil, 1500 gms olive oil, 640 gms sesame oil, 1900 gms distilled water and 1154 gms KOH. I must have made a mistake in measuring ingredients but I don't know what the mistake was. My method was mixing continuosly with a hand blender. After I found that the test didn't come out right, I cooked the soap base for an hour but this didn't solve anything.

this time when I test the soap base in distilled water, it turns cloudy. I don't know what went wrong.
There are about as many different ways to make LS as there are LS-ers! :D

In order to help you troubleshoot we need more information. It would be best if you could please post this in the Recipe Feedback Forum. Include a printout of the recipe you used that has all the details of lye concentration, super fat, etc. and the % of dilution water to paste.

There are many reasons why your clarity test turned cloudy. So, we'll need those details too. :thumbs:;)

@poramor
A fellow sesame oil LSer 🤩

There is a possible source of error that isn't your fault. I've checked your numbers, and they look fine if and only if your lye purity really is around 90%. Unfortunately, the purity of KOH varies by a lot between 80…95%. I suspect that your KOH is either less pure than advertised, or you didn't adjust its purity (some calculators allow you to do so). Hitting the spot with LS is a matter of precision, ±2% in any of the numbers (including KOH purity) can make the difference between perfect LS, failing the clarity test, or being lye-heavy.

Does your KOH bottle/supplier tell you anything about purity? How long since you have opened the container? Have you made clarity-positive LS with it before?

I never use the clarity test. I understand that oil choices affect clarity way more frequently than doneness. I use the zap method of testing for readiness as it is unable to be mistaken. If it does not zap, it is done.

As you well know, part of the beauty of liquid soap is that you can dilute when you like. I find that no waiting is necessary, but I tend to make enough paste to have three batches to dilute. So, I dilute one while I still have all the mess in the kitchen, and store the other two.

Latest posts

Back