Fixer Upper-Joanna Gaines--Another Good Thing Ruined??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiesmom

Reaction score
Have been a fan of this show until the most recent season when I noticed subtle style changes creeping in, seemed they were trying to branch away from the very charming decorating style that propelled them to fame and fortune in the first place, not entirely successful in my opinion. Recently checked out the entire Magnolia furniture line and found it very disappointing in quality and style - very similar to what you find at Hobby Lobby actually, except for the cost which of course is much more. Today I found their new magazine in the store and was thrilled, even at the 8$ price. Until that is, I thumbed through it twice. Again big disappointment. WAY too much focus on food, cooking, recipes and not nearly enough focus on decorating. I was hoping it would be filled with Joanna's ideas but it definitely was not so didn't buy. Anyone heard anything about their book? I've heard it's a biography not a decorating book. I'm guessing their brand might have been taken over by tv producers/executives and publishers leaving them with little control of content. Or maybe too much success and they are spread too thin to keep up. Either way makes me sad.

I haven't seen the latest season yet, or the magazine, but it seemed to me that they were veering away from the very low budget, really old, crappy but loaded with potential houses, and leaning more towards the ones that didn't need as much heavy duty renovations. But I absolutely love what she manages to do with these homes...enlarging doorways, taking down walls, putting in French doors. I always think to myself, "How can she imagine what that's going to look like?" I love her easy, comfortable style. But of course, when they show the houses at the end, they're full of her furniture and special pieces, all the staging done by her, and that's what truly makes them so special. I often wish they'd show the houses after all that has been removed and the owners have moved in with their stuff. I imagine they look verrrrrry different.

But you know how it is, once any business gets super successful...things change. I guess that's inevitable, but it's also sad. Let's hope they don't change too much. They're fun to watch.

I haven't seen the latest season and don't buy magazines, but I have read people are getting leery of signing up to be on the show because of the public. I guess perfect strangers knock on the door, asking to come in and see the house that Fixer Upper put together. I read that some have even rented out the houses, not wanting to put up with the onslaught.

I also wonder about the house without the staging, although I've read they can buy that stuff if they want and can afford it. That is the same with Property Brothers as far as the staging, even Vanilla Ice Project. But even their first season Fixer Upper put together some high end houses, so maybe they are doing less of the low-end, but I don't know.

However, I do agree with BG that their dynamic makes the show.

Back