Fixatives use in Anhydrous Body Butter Formulations

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone using a fixative in their anhydrous body butter formulations to prolong the scent of fragrance oils? If so, what are your recommendations.
Thank you.

I wish I could help, but I don’t tend to have an issue with fragrances sticking in body butters or lotion. Maybe because they are kept in closed containers? Like @lsg said, arrowroot might help and is often used to cut back on greasiness.

Another thought might be to find fragrances with good reviews. The fragrance should also be approved for body products, i.e., not food flavorings or homemade infusions. Those just won’t produce a lasting strong scent in the majority of cases.

Arrowroot and similar powders is good to cut down on the "greasiness" often associated with solid lotion bars, but doesn't help with scent retention. I have tried a good dozen or more scents, along with arrowroot powder, cornstarch, tapioca starch and carrot powder and it just comes down to the scent...some hold out better than others and there is no one 'type' or supplier.

My suggestion would be to get some Small Cavity Molds and then try different scents and let them sit for a good six to eight weeks and then see which scent lasts longer. And if the scent doesn't hold, you can just remelt them and try another scent.

I wish I could help, but I don’t tend to have an issue with fragrances sticking in body butters or lotion. Maybe because they are kept in closed containers? Like @lsg said, arrowroot might help and is often used to cut back on greasiness.

Another thought might be to find fragrances with good reviews. The fragrance should also be approved for body products, i.e., not food flavorings or homemade infusions. Those just won’t produce a lasting strong scent in the majority of cases.
Ok, I'll start paying more attention to the reviews. Thank you for your feedback.

Latest posts

Back