Fix for Dreaded Orange Spots on just one type of my soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautifulsoaper

Reaction score
So I am a beginner who made a goat milk soap and another rose soap. I used basic ingredients coconut, shea, olive, almond, sesame, castor and liquid(half water, half rose water). So everything is okay and both my soap are unmolded okay. However, after a few days only my rose soap get dreaded orange spots. I don't know why. I am using geranium and rose oil essential oils in that soap.
The weird thing is my goat milk soap is perfect. This Orange spots only happen on my rose soap. Anybody Please Help

The first thing I would say is that it is a true Rose EO is insanely expensive. MMS currently lists it for $29 for a single gram!

Unless you are paying that kind of price for your Rose EO, whatever you are using is most likely an adulterated fake. That alone could be the cause of the DOS, as can be the case with older (oxidized) EOs and base oils, as well.

But even with oxidized or rancid EOs or base oils, it is really rare to get DOS after only a few days. Are you sure it isn't just unmixed EO spots in the soap?

The first thing I would say is that it is a true Rose EO is insanely expensive. MMS currently lists it for $29 for a single gram!

Unless you are paying that kind of price for your Rose EO, whatever you are using is most likely an adulterated fake. That alone could be the cause of the DOS, as can be the case with older (oxidized) EOs and base oils, as well.

But even with oxidized or rancid EOs or base oils, it is really rare to get DOS after only a few days. Are you sure it isn't just unmixed EO spots in the soap?
What do you mean unmixed EO spots? how do you know you have properly mixed the EOs?

Sesame oil has an incredibly short shelf life. I store our sesame oil that we cook with in the freezer. Rancid oils=DOS.
bramble berry says it has shelf life of around 1-2 years

Can you post a photo? I have had essential oils that are not completely mixed in (and/or I soaped too cool and the solid oils got solid and pushed the essential oils to the edge.) During the cure, the essential oil got reabsorbed back into the soap. I've only had DOS once and it stunk, like bad crayons. Also welcome to the community!

What do you mean unmixed EO spots? how do you know you have properly mixed the EOs?
When EOs aren't thoroughly mixed into the batter, they often show up as yellow, orange, or brownish spots or streaks in the soap bars. To prevent that, stir or whisk very thoroughly after adding them to the batter.

EDIT: What @Zing said is a good reminder: DOS typically stinks. That can be a clue to help you figure out what you are and are not seeing.

When EOs aren't thoroughly mixed into the batter, they often show up as yellow, orange, or brownish spots or streaks in the soap bars. To prevent that, stir or whisk very thoroughly after adding them to the batter.

EDIT: What @Zing said is a good reminder: DOS typically stinks. That can be a clue to help you figure out what you are and are not seeing.

I don't really have that much time after adding essential oils since it solidies way too quickly. what do you suggest I should do now?

If this is cold processed soap, you probably need to stick-blend a lot less, just to a stable emulsion and not to trace. And try lowering the temps of your oils and lye to 90F at most.

But even with those two adjustments, florals do tend to accelerate your trace. You can try holding back some of the liquid oils and warming them separately with the EOs to about 100F. Mix them together well before adding that to the rest of your batter.

Sometimes that works to slow down acceleration with fast-moving ingredients, but sometimes you have to accept that your FO or EO is going to move pretty fast.

You mentioned that your batter solidifies quickly. I don't know about you, but when I first started -- and this is common to many new soapers -- I overused my stick blender and would reach a thick trace fairly quickly. No I use my blender more as a spoon to stir with just a few 5-second bursts. It took me over a year to get to emulsion. I almost always now get to emulsion or a thin trace. Good luck to you.

I don't really have that much time after adding essential oils since it solidies way too quickly. what do you suggest I should do now?
I know this in an older thread, but if I am using an EO that I know will accelerate trace, I add it to the oils before I add the lye solution. I’ve never had a problem doing it this way. It will still come to trace quicker than without the EO, but it should give you enough time to still get a smooth pour. Just watch it closely!

I know this in an older thread...

You're asking a question that is totally unrelated to this discussion about DOS/rancidity. Most people who don't have any interest or information about this topic will scroll on by and not see your question. If you start a new thread with a descriptive title that relates to your question, you'll get more and better responses

Latest posts

Back