Five Gallon Mixer for CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZandarKoad

Reaction score
My beloved 18v Lithium Ion Milwaukee Electric cordless hammer drill had a sex change. What better way to eviscerate such a tool of all it's manliness by forcing it to stir a batch of cold process, purple lavender soap. But it worked really well! :D

If I tried to run it on full throttle on high speed it would spin too fast, and start splashing. It was great.

Here's a link to the video I took. I'm not sure why I took a video of this. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYTD1G_reNY&feature=youtu.be

2013-03-23 13.51.47.jpg

2013-03-23 14.23.59.jpg

2013-03-23 14.24.18.jpg

Hmmm, my browser isn't letting me view the video for some reason. This has happened at least once before, and I am not sure why it happens.

Way to put your noodle to work!!! Great idea and easy to use! I wonder if the coloring on your mixing head will eventually wear off due to the lye content. Hmmmmm will it flake in your soap? Not trying to sound silly but I am seriously asking because this is an easy find for those that have access to power tools. Great idea for super large batches!

As much as I make fun of the girlyness (that's a word, right?) of mixing lavender soap, that drill absolutely got a work out. It was quite hot by the time I was done. This was the first batch I ever made where I added proper colorants - powder titanium dioxide and powder ultramarine violet oxide. It got VERY thick. I'm not quite sure how much I added yet, but we are very pleased with the color. It wasn't 100% pure white before adding the purple, but if I added any more titanium dioxide, I'd be working with putty!

I used 12.5 oz of lavender EO in the 264 oz of base oils. We didn't want to go too heavy... It was our first large batch of color and EO.

Way to put your noodle to work!!! Great idea and easy to use! I wonder if the coloring on your mixing head will eventually wear off due to the lye content. Hmmmmm will it flake in your soap? Not trying to sound silly but I am seriously asking because this is an easy find for those that have access to power tools. Great idea for super large batches!

I imagine the paint could chip off, but only if the underlying metal has oxidized to the point where the paint is loose. A simple visual inspection before each use should reveal any problems. I've used it in four uber batches so far with no issues.

"... What better way to eviscerate such a tool of all it's manliness by forcing it to stir a batch of cold process, purple lavender soap...."

And mixed by a guy wearing lavender gloves, no less! :p

I used 12.5 oz of lavender EO in the 264 oz of base oils. We didn't want to go too heavy... It was our first large batch of color and EO.

Just wanted to mention that you used just under 5% EO for your batch size. It is usually recommended to keep essential oils at 3% or less in soap. It's my understanding that lavender is one of the EOs that you can safely exceed that amount, but I don't think that would be considered light fragrance.

Latest posts

Back