FISHERMAN'S SOAP?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadiebugs1

Reaction score
Hi All, I lurked for a bit, but could not find any help on making some fisherman's soap.
Here's what I have in mind....please let me know what you think. All feedback/ideas are greatly appreciated!

80% Coconut Oil (lather's in sea water they say!)
15% Shea or Mango?
5% Castor
10% SF (is this enough? i want it to be conditioning also, but I think for a fisherman's soap that's not of great importance)

I'll use BB's calc. (that soapcalc one still stirs the marbles in my head, the part that doesn't go way OVER my head, anyway!)
Anise EO (supposed to mask the human scent AND attract fish)
Anise Seed (ground for scrubbiness)

My dream with this soap is to after FO is added at very lite trace, to seperate it into thirds. 1/3 left natural color. 1/3 colored green (ground sage?) and 1/3 reddish or brown (so far I found the brown pigment powder works well, but only used it twice).

THEN I plan to use the "GLOP" (glob this color into the mold, then that, etc.) in hopes of creating a "camoflauge" look.

What do you think?? Hope I didn't sound like I was from another planet or something.

Thanks,
Sharon

ok blond moment what is SF ???????

and your total doesn't add up to 100%

go look in the tutorial section and read my tutorial on how to use soapcal, once you get use to it you will wonder what you ever did without it.

SF=Superfat.

Now don't you just feel silly! :oops: (maybe it would have been clearer had I not listed it right there with the ingredients?)

I did read the tutorial on the soapcalc. I spent about 20 min or so today playing with it too. I figured out a part or two, but then I just started confusing myself. I'll dig deeper in the near future, promise. There's just a few things about it I don't understand yet. I probably would have made 3 more batches of soap today if I hadn't taken the time to analize each one to death. I swear, my first flop of a batch for me is going to be so devistating.....hope I can handle it! I'm too much of a perfectionist. Anyway, now that the recipe adds up to 100%, what do you think about the rest of the "master plan"? :D

Thanks for the quick reply by the way.
Sharon

yeah that confused me cause you put it right under your ingredient list.

but that's the recipe that paul posted on my thread so it must be good.

recipe from paul?
your thread?
help? I did not see this. where can i find it? I searched on fisherman, hunter, anise EO, etc. could not find anything.

What do you think about the rest of the idea? like the sage for coloring (i've never tried it, just read about it somewhere). Ever GLOPPED before? (never tried that either)

Thanks,
Sharon

Well, thank you for the link and the info, but this is not where I got the idea from. I started my quest for fisherman's soap info on another forum where I got the basic recipe idea from (though, I'd like to know if mango would work differently than shea, because that's what I have more of and they also suggested 15% SF, but that sounds like too much to me) and when I searched here, I didn't find anything. But, hey, I guess then I know it works, at 12% SF. but I also have never tried goats milk either (yet)

As for the hunting thing, congrats. But I've never hunted (or fished really), not my thing. I have no clue what you mean by filling a tag, or field dressing, or what a .243 is or a long shot. Just figured hunting=camo, never thought it would make anyone feel less clean. I think it would be more "attractive" to guys, that's all. Have you ever tried coloring your soaps with sage? I've "heard" that it is good for coloring green, but I'm not sure if it would add an undesired fragrance.
Thanks for your help.
Sharon

Similar recipes on many sites for Fisherman soap. Many use 100% coconut because it lather in saltwater. Shea adds some conditinging. Mango a little less stable lather. Castor can be omitted and up coconut for a harder soap and flufier lather

thanks lucy, i'll keep that in mind, though I'm not sure what you mean by less "stable". Could you explain a little?
Any ideas about the rest of my soap plan?

I should get some Anise EO and some cocoa butter in the next day or two, how would cocoa butter work instead of shea or mango?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me (anyone), I appreciate it.

Sharon

Other recipe suggestions I found said 80% CO, 20% other oils. And most said "a little" castor oil. Mango I have, Palm I have (though I understand it is drying, not conditioning) and I have about 8oz. of shea butter. I am getting some cocoa butter soon. Hense, I ask, can that be used instead?

I am sorry for the confusion. It just happened to work out that way that the recipe was almost identical to Pauls. Except, again, I won't be trying goats milk the first try so I guess I'll just wing it. And since it's Paul's recipe that it looks like I'll be going with (10%SF and water, though). THANK YOU PAUL for your wonderful recipe!

Sharon

i'm not trying to take someone else ideas....apparently you seem to be fixated on that I am. If you are again accusing me of "stealing" this idea, you're WRONG again. I'd never seen this before, never "googled" anything and this pic of fishermans' soap is NOT even what I was talking about. I'll give credit when credit is due, when it's due. Till then....back off please. Your assumtions are wrong, doesn't matter how many times you repeat yourself.

Many many moons ago I read a thread on another forum where people were trying a 100% CO soap superfatted at 20%. I think Paul has made mention of this post here or another one similar to it as it has been regurgitated across every forum on the planet for years now.

Since reading that post I tried the 100% CO with 20% SF - found it too drying and started tweaking it. I have added shea and I have added castor and avocado and coconut milk etc all with varying results. I even came up with one very similar to Paul's that I tried in November of last year except that I used 15% shea and 5% castor and used coconut milk instead of GM and superfatted at 15%. It's not impossible for people to tweak a recipe that's been posted all over the net and come up with something similar to another soapers recipe. Especially when we're talking about very common oils such as Coconut, Shea and castor.

Having said that - I respect Paul's talent as a soaper and Faithy's as well. I just 100% believe that the original poster could have come up with this recipe on their own. I did.

Thank you Marr, I appreciate the respect. I did tweak others' recipe ideas, MANY OF THEM, to try to formulate one i wanted to try using the ingredients I HAVE.

I DID thank Paul for the recipe, since after seeing it, it is basically the one I'm going to try. It is NOT the same to a T. It's different in everyway, except for the base oils (which I'm not even sure I have enough shea and would like to use either mango or cocoa butter, but I'm not sure of the effect that they would have. I still haven't heard back as to what Lucy meant by mango being unstable).
I did infact, make a small batch yesterday using PAUL'S WAL-MART SOAP RECIPE and will post results and maybe pics and of course, giving Paul the credit where/and when the credit is due. (in which this case it is - 100%)

I'm not totally inexperienced in making CP soaps, I just like to figure out as much as possible how I should expect it to turn out first instead of wasting so much (i'm a bit of a perfectionist, haven't had much luck at re-batching and a poor person to boot!). I am just a "newbie" in this forum. I now feel like I'm being attacked. I simply wanted some feedback....

PS: Faithy, the pic you posted from that board, is NOT even close to what I was talking about. It appears her soap is swirled, using colorants. I said I was going to BLOB the different colored soaps together and use sage and brown pigment to color with, NOT swirling and NOT using colorants. Not that I came up with it all on my own; the whole "camoflauge" look to a hunter's or fisherman's soap is not a new idea. I saw it YEARS ago in homemade soaps. I can't swirl, and yes, somewhere, somebody, on some sight MENTIONED Blobbing the soap in different colors, I simply wanted to know if anyone on here has ever tried it and what results or problems they had.
I am sorry for posting this, I'm now leary of trying to get feedback about anything new I want to try.

Hi -

I don't think Faithy was attacking you. She just has a huge amount of respect for Paul and appreciates all of the advice he shares here.

Don't be afraid of asking a question. It's just a misunderstanding. :)

Oh - and welcome to the board!

Thanks. Guess I'll take a break from all this CP for the next two days anyway, have to get some MP made (almost feels like a chore instead of fun! :wink: )

BTW, I love your avatar. I have on my myspace the little video of Mr. Beanbastic. Mr Bean doing a little "break dancing" of sort to Shaggy's Mr. Boombastic song. Have you seen it?

LOL - no - I will have to look for that. I love Mr. Bean.

BTW - I took a look at your site and I love your Bubble Gum soap! You do very nice work!

Latest posts

Back