Fish oil soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello. Maybe this thread is dead or too old, but my experience with oils that smell started with a batch of 100% grass fed butter that went rancid. The soap came out amazing, and even my choice of EO was perfect, but after washing with it, you were left with a lingering hint of vomit smell. Naturally that's a batch for the garbage. But my conclusion was that the bad smell from the rancid oil was due to the super fatting. Had I not super fatted (which I did 2% maybe even 4%) the chemical reaction would have levelled out the rancid.

So I tried again with a batch of beef tallow, only slightly rancid... just a bit of a funky smell, especially when heated. So I did 0 super fatting. Un-molded it, and so far, so good. No bad smell... just great EO that I put in. Anecdotal for me at this point about that theory of super fat.

Tomorrow I'll make a batch with a weird blend of about 50% chicken fat 40% peanut oil and 10% sardine oil.

Hello. Maybe this thread is dead or too old, but my experience with oils that smell started with a batch of 100% grass fed butter that went rancid. The soap came out amazing, and even my choice of EO was perfect, but after washing with it, you were left with a lingering hint of vomit smell. Naturally that's a batch for the garbage. But my conclusion was that the bad smell from the rancid oil was due to the super fatting. Had I not super fatted (which I did 2% maybe even 4%) the chemical reaction would have levelled out the rancid.

So I tried again with a batch of beef tallow, only slightly rancid... just a bit of a funky smell, especially when heated. So I did 0 super fatting. Un-molded it, and so far, so good. No bad smell... just great EO that I put in. Anecdotal for me at this point about that theory of super fat.

Tomorrow I'll make a batch with a weird blend of about 50% chicken fat 40% peanut oil and 10% sardine oil.
You may want to start a new thread as totally off topic. Was regarding fish oil.
there are many threads on using rancid oils but it’s not generally recommended unless just for personal use.

welcome to the forum. Be sure to go to the introduction forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Butyric acid is vile. My org. chem. professor carried an open jug of it around the science building one day... I think he thought it was funny
Isn't butyric acid a sign of rancidity? Fresh butter smells sweet. You'd think if you can afford it, it's a great soap base.

Last edited:
You're confusing the smell of a triglyceride fat (butterfat) with the smell of a fatty acid. Two different things.

It's like comparing the harsh odor of raw onions with the rich aroma French onion soup.

Isn't butyric acid a sign of rancidity? Fresh butter smells sweet. You'd thing if you can afford it, it's a great soap base.
Yes, technically, but that is because the fatty acid is cleaved from the triglyceride when the butter goes rancid. So like DeAnna said, you can't typically smell it in fresh butter because it is part of the triglyceride, but when it exists as a fatty acid, it smells horrible.

Mmmmm
You're confusing the smell of a triglyceride fat (butterfat) with the smell of a fatty acid. Two different things.

It's like comparing the harsh odor of raw onions with the rich aroma French onion soup.
....mmmmm I like French Onion soup 🥰

I have this feeling that using fish oil with nh4oh might give you the best results. Now i DO understand that now all the ingredients are strong stinkers, from oils rich in amino smell to ammonia water (at least industrial strength) it seems counterintuitive, but i have this weird feeling that quaternary ammonium salts are created, scentless, and the richest soap money could buy.

Back