First Whipped Body Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusti

Reaction score
I've made 'body butters' of a sort before, with oils like shea, coconut, olive and some beeswax but never tried whipping them. When I got my stick blender for my soap adventures, it came with a whisk attachment, so I had a go last night at a very small batch of whipped butter.

It was 4oz of shea, 2oz coconut oil, 2oz of Olive oil, a little bit of Vitamin E and some of BB's Macintosh Apple FO. I also added about a teaspoon of cornstarch to help with the greasy feeling, but I'm not quite sure that was enough. It feels silky enough, but still a little on the greasy side.

Digging the texture of this stuff though!

12993469_10208746131507589_3052116692359139720_n.jpg

I've never tried cornstarch for greasiness before but that's a great idea. Especially since I had a brain fart a while back and bought a whole pound of tapioca starch.
I have the whisk attachment too (Hamilton Beach, right?) and I LOVE it for body butters! You just can't get those results with a regular stick blender!

Looks very good!

What does the cornstarch work out as a % of the batch weight?

Oh heavens, I'm not sure (and therein lies my mistake, I'm sure)! A teaspoon to ounces converter says it's a little over 1% or so.
I've never tried cornstarch for greasiness before but that's a great idea. Especially since I had a brain fart a while back and bought a whole pound of tapioca starch.
I have the whisk attachment too (Hamilton Beach, right?) and I LOVE it for body butters! You just can't get those results with a regular stick blender!

Yes, I believe it is Hamilton Beach. It was way easier to use that whisk attachment then dig out the hand mixer and put the beaters on, at least as far as my lazy behind is concerned.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use either Isopropyl Palmitate or Isopropyl Myristate at up to 5% to make it feel even less greasy.

For the greasiness, try using a slightly less greasy ingredients. Mango butter instead of all or part of the Shea. Babbasu (spelling?) instead of all or part of the coconut. Macadamia instead of all or part of the olive oil. Also, I'm not sure how effective cornstarch is- I've not used it. I use tapioca starch, and it's fantastic. One level teaspoon for your batch size sounds about right. Good luck, and have fun!

If we add IPM to an anhydrous product, does that require adding a preservative or is the IPM anhydrous also?

I've been rebranding and trying to get some things caught up but I sure have missed yall and the forum. <3

I use a preservative in body butter because one keeps dipping fingers in the product, thus transferring microorganisms to the product. Even though the product doesn't contain water, IMO, it is better to be safe than sorry. Just my take on it, though.:)

Back