First try with fragrance oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozziesgirl

Reaction score
My son-in-law really, really wants me to make him grape scented soap. I bought a grape fragrance oil, and my house already smells like a grape jelly factory, and I haven't even opened the bottle! This is my first batch of soap with a fragrance oil. Do they always smell pretty intense? I plan on making a 32 oz. batch of CP soap (50% lard, 25 coconut oil, 20 olive oil, and 5 castor). My calculations tell me I'll want to use an ounce of the fragrance for 3% in a 32 oz. batch. Does anyone have any tips, or warnings?

Did you read the reviews on your grape fragrance. I use most fo's, other than Cherry Almond at 6% or 1 oz per pound of oil. If you grape contains vanilla, which should be listed, it will turn dark brown. I know my daughter's grape fo goes brown.

Can you tell us where you got the FO? Maybe post a link? I'm with Cmzaha - read the reviews. We also have a fragrance review chart - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47182

Maybe your FO is listed here.

I have a Kudzu FO that smells like grape bubble gum, and it is very well behaved. My only tips are to have everything prepared before you add lye water to oils. Some FOs move fast.

Maybe it's just my nose, but black raspberry vanilla (from Nature's Garden) smells like sweet grape to me with little or no vanilla overtone. It doesn't discolor nor does it accelerate. It sticks (lasts) in soap.

Yes, most FOs smell pretty strong. The odor can trigger migraines or just plain be offensive/annoying. I measure my FO into a small cup and then cover the cup with a lid or plastic wrap to corral the smell while I'm prepping other ingredients. I also run the oven vent hood while soaping to minimize the odor in the house. (I put a huge steel sheet pan bought secondhand from the local bakery over my stovetop, so I can soap directly under the hood.)

Arthur is right -- don't use polystyrene containers (disposable drink cups, for example) for fragrance or essential oils. Look for HDPE or PP (recycle codes 2 and 5) plastic containers or metal or glass.

Back