First try... what happened? Goats milk & Honey

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargal66

Reaction score
So two weeks ago I made my first batch of soap. I was totally excited, my husband even helped measure out everything and get everything in order. Being my first time I only made a 1lb batch.
Here was the recipe:
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 30% = 4.8oz
Olive Oil 40% = 6.4oz
Soybean Oil 20% = 3.2oz
Safflower Oil, HO 10% = 1.6oz
Lye 2.668:1 ratio = 2.28oz
Goats Milk 38% = 6.08oz
Superfat 5%
EO's
lavendar .5oz
Grapefruit .25oz
tea tree .25oz
Honey 1.5 tbsp

I added the lye a little at a time to cold goats milk (did not freeze it). Kept the container in an ice bath and did not let it get over 100deg. Melted the CO on the stove, kept it low temp added other oils and removed from temp. When both were about 95deg I moved the oils to a large glass bowl and then started adding the lye mixture.
A little about the lye mixture, it turned a lime neon green... and got a little grainy along the sides of the bowl. It was goats milk from the store (not raw) and my lye was atleast 5 years old... was it bad?
I used a stick blender (off) to mix in the lye. Then turned it on and it mixed pretty quickly to emulsion. BUT did not get further than an incredibly light trace... after 30 minutes I got impatient and added the EO's and the honey (slightly warmed to melt it) I mixed it another 15 or 20 minutes and it didn't get any thicker.
I know I'm crazy for doing this on a first try, but I wanted to try colors. So I poured a small amount into another bowl and decided to try color. my main batch was a nice buttery color. I only had food dye so I decided on blue. Blue and yellow make green so that's what I expected. When I added a good amount of drops (like 10) it turned blue at first and then faded immediately to a light red/brown.
I had prepped a plastic mold (from granola bars bought at Henry's - fully cleaned! :) Since i didn't have vaseline and I was terrified it would stick i used syran wrap to line it. Could I have used parchment paper? I poured the base color into the mold. Then I poured in the color, holding it high so it would go further into the base. I pulled a knife through it a few times to make the top nice, but didn't really do enough for a good swirl without - will do next time.
It looked really nice in the mold. I left it out overnight, uncovered (i didn't really know about the gel phase yet, but I did know that they said not to let it get overheated so I didn't cover it)
The next morning.... wow, it had changed color!!! The brown swirl had gone to a light minty green and the buttery yellow had gone to a dark golden. It was still nice enough, not a big deal.
The next evening I put it in the freezer for a few hours the popped it out of the mold. It was pretty firm and so I decided to cut it. This is where I got sad...
The cuts were coming out a little crumbly along the bottom but it was my cutting technique more than the soap, but what was worse was the strange crystally looking center. No oil was coming out, but it was a little softer than the rest. I looked it up and would have thought it a partial gel, except for the strange white crystally effect. I left it to see what would happen.
It's now two weeks later and no better... I cut into one to see if it was just where I cut it, but no, the strange white effect was all the way through. I cut it in half and the center can easily be squished with my thumb, but the edge (no white) was harder to squish.
So, what do I do with it? I did try some and it soaps pretty nicely, but I'm concerned with what it could be. Should I rebatch it or toss it? Was it the recipe, not freezing the milk, not making trace, the honey, too much EO, old lye, not freezing/wrapping the mold?
I loved making it and have already ordered a lot of fun stuff to play with, but I want to learn about my mistake before making it a second time!
Thanks for any help or ideas on this, it's greatly appreciated :D
Here is the link to my facebook page for my Soap Making Sagas so you can see the pics in the album "First Try". It's the only album for now...
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 8555163735

Looks like a lot of honey to me. For small batches like that I convert the oils into grams to get a more accurate measure. It's possible that it overheated. If you all measurements were correct, you can try to rebatch.

Thanks for your reply!

Can it overheat in just the middle and leave the edges ungelled? Would the honey do that? I had read that I could add 1 - 2 tbsp per pound, what would you reccommend for the future?

Maybe my batch was just too small?

Stargal66 said:
Thanks for your reply!

Can it overheat in just the middle and leave the edges ungelled? Would the honey do that? I had read that I could add 1 - 2 tbsp per pound, what would you reccommend for the future?

Maybe my batch was just too small?
Goat's milk has natural sugar. Honey is another sugar. Between the two of them there's more of a chance for the soap to overheat. The most I use of honey is 1 TBS without any milk. I would start with a teaspoon (tsp) of honey if you are using milk.

Great advice, I didn't think about the milk having sugar too. I'll cut it down for the second try.
Is there anything you suggest I do for the rebatch, like do I need to add anything or how I should store it (freezer/oven)?

Stargal66 said:
Great advice, I didn't think about the milk having sugar too. I'll cut it down for the second try.
Is there anything you suggest I do for the rebatch, like do I need to add anything or how I should store it (freezer/oven)?
With gloves on, shred it or cut it into chunks. Since this batch is new, there is no need to add any extra water. Let it melt. I would use a crock pot to do this. It will look like mashed potatoes or thick applesauce. Stir from time to time. Then glop it into a mold of your choice. Let cool, then cut. I would let it cure for a couple of weeks to make sure any extra liquid has evaporated.

The longer you wait to rebatch, the more water will evaporate and the harder it will be for the soap to melt.

Okay, I'm gonna try this tonight! :D
I'll document the journey and post more pics to let you know how it turns out. There is a woman at the farmer's market that sells "goat balls" of rebatched soap that I thought were hilarious, maybe I'll try making a few of those too.

Hey Soapbuddy,

Just a quick question:

The pics kinda reminded me of some 'bloom' I have had with my lip balms. I know this is usually to do with cocoa butter (fat blooms), but I did a search on 'sugar bloom' since you mentioned sugars.
Seems like this occurs when sugars are frozen and then defrosted, or quick changes in temps. Do you think it is possible for this to happen in soap?

you can also do the rebatch thing in the microwave. i did it today and it took me all of 15 mins and i didnt end up with hard chunks from where the edges had gotten too hard..

I just finished rebatching. I started by chopping, then decided to try the cheese shredder, it worked great! I shredded it all and then put it into a big glass bowl. I did 30 seconds at a time and mixing with a plastic spoon. I guess i could have stopped when it was still chunky and retained the separate color, but I wanted to get it really mixed. It turned a very ugly green brown (expected) and as the consistency of very thick and slightly chunky (the parts I chopped probably) pudding. I then dropped/pressed it into a new mold I got a the store tonight, a silicon mold made for individual brownies. It was pretty messy looking so I cleaned up the edges and smoothed it with syran wrap on top. I used the trimmings and the leftovers from the bowl to make a few 'Goat Nuggets' :) I had also just go my box from Brambleberry and it had red jojoba beads so I rolled the balls in them for fun. If had only put them on a smaller spot they might have looked like green olives with pimentos!
I was impatient, so I popped one out to see, I wanted to make sure they wouldn't stick. Then I put it back in and put them in the freezer. 20 min later I check on them and they were pretty hard so I popped one out. Came out super easy. The color paled a little so now they are a pea green. It mostly has a uniform shape, but looks a little cobbled together. I cut it open to see what was happening and it looked pretty much the same throughout. A little chunk fell out, but it was not completely hard yet so I hope the rest will turn out. I also tried a little piece and was really happy! As I was washing I got pretty good sudsing and I didn't get very much of that sticky/dry feeling when rinsing the soap off. After drying my hands they were nice and soft :)
Thanks so much for the help with this! I am very excited to try some of the great stuff I got in the mail and that I picked up at the store. Especially these two scents that I wanted to drink out of the bottle! Chipotle Caramel, Black Amber and Lavendar.
Here is the link to the album with the rebatch images:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... d1f&type=1

That's happened to me before on a non-goats milk batch. It was a recipe I make all the time. I just assumed mine was due to old fragrance oil.

busymakinsoap! said:
Hey Soapbuddy,

Just a quick question:

The pics kinda reminded me of some 'bloom' I have had with my lip balms. I know this is usually to do with cocoa butter (fat blooms), but I did a search on 'sugar bloom' since you mentioned sugars.
Seems like this occurs when sugars are frozen and then defrosted, or quick changes in temps. Do you think it is possible for this to happen in soap?
Yes, it's possible, just like chocolate.

soapbuddy said:
busymakinsoap! said:
Hey Soapbuddy,

Just a quick question:

Yes, it's possible, just like chocolate.

Hmmmm.... very interesting - makes a lot of sense too, explains a lot of things. Come to think of it Ash looks a lot like fat bloom..... Has anyone ever thought that before?
If it were the case, ash could infact be caused by sudden temp changes, such as gell and freezing, and best way to prevent it would be to keep it at a steady temp!? or to gell/defrost slowly.

Sorry to jump the thread Stargal66, I'm just thinking out loud and having a bit of an 'ahaaa moment'

Latest posts

Back