First Try @ Soap Calc

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZerbyPirkel

Reaction score
Okay...feedback appreciated. I am thinking this recipe, that I worked out on Soapcalc..net, would be okay to make up. What do you folks think? And, should I make it in a 2 pound batch, instead of a 1 pound batch? I want to use a recipe that lets me make up something I could handle. Thanks!

zerby pirkle's soap #2.jpg

Your cleansing number is very high for my tastes. Think of it as more of a "stripping" number. All soap will clean, it's just a matter of how much natural oil it strips from your skin while it does it. My skin would look like mummy skin if I used something this cleansing, but yours may love it. Also, you might want to lower your castor oil a bit. From what I understand, much over 10% starts to inhibit bubbles instead of boost them. Otherwise, looks good to me :)

I definitely agree with Navaria. Your cleansing number is too high. I think I noted on earlier posts that you were mature in your years; (me too). An emergency total hysterectomy instantly caused total hormone changes resulting in totally dry skin. If it were me, I would try to keep the cleansing number under 10. Personally I won't go higher than 8 and I use coconut milk sub to add additional SF.

PKO flakes are awesome, but combined with your coconut oil, that is what is causing your high cleansing nos. I also agree about the castor. If this is one of your first batches, I would recommend keeping it at 5%. Also if you want your mango seed butter to "count" - up to a minimum to 10%. How about adding some avocado oil or cheaper, some sunflower oil? - Easy to get, great for the skin. If your soap starts to get too soft, you can also add 3-5% beeswax, or crunchy version of candelia wax. Waxes are an easy way to add shine and hardness to your bars.

Finally - Though 1 lb batches are more economical, 2 lbs are better. - A little more forgiving if you don't measure out exactly in grams; slightly larger batches give you more working time Your current recipe will be more fluid, but once you start adding EO/FO and color, smaller batches are less forgiving and harder to save.

Okay, really finally.... As you continue to play around with recipes.....(become completely addicted) always save a bar of soap from your batches. a). It will help chronicle your soaping journey, b). Help identify problems - DOS, fading scent, color changes, etc - even if you don't plan to sell, you will eventually need to give some away. (the addictive factor is that great). Good luck - remember to post pics!

LOL My skin would actually be perfectly fine with it as long as it had a superfat of about 7% or so, but that's just me.

I do, however agree with the others that your castor is a bit to high for your particular formula. It will probably end up sticky-feeling along with that much olive oil in there. I've found that high amounts of castor do much better if you also have a high amount of hard fats. For example, I have a formula that uses 65% tallow and 23% castor and it's perfectly fine in that. If it were me, I would use no more than 10% castor in this particular type of formula.

This is how I would tweak it if I were going to make it:

Olive oil 55%
Coconut 15%
PKO 15%
Castor 10%
Mango butter 5%

And I'd superfat it at 7%.

Having said all that, it's good to keep in mind that everyone's skin is different. The only way to figure out if you'll end up liking a formula is to make it, then tweak it to your taste from there. Edited to add: I would keep it to 1 lb batches for now, until you find a formula you really like., then you can kick it up to 2lbs or more.

IrishLass :)

I love OO soap so I'd keep that, PKO will harden it, CO is drying to the skin try it at 10% first then lower it if too drying for you. I agree with the others that the castor oil should be around 5%. I've tried 10 and 8 and am using 5% now and it's good at that rate. You could up the butter a bit instead.

Posted at the same time as IL. I agree with 1 lb batches while experimenting - just be careful to measure accurately and use water and oils from the mix for additives. Or else be prepared to make lots of confetti soap later! [emoji2]

Last edited:
I love OO soap so I'd keep that, PKO will harden it, CO is drying to the skin try it at 10% first then lower it if too drying for you. I agree with the others that the castor oil should be around 5%. I've tried 10 and 8 and am using 5% now and it's good at that rate. You could up the butter a bit instead.

Have you tried PKO flakes? It's just as bad as CO if not worse. I honestly feel I can sacrifice bubbles and use that stuff at 10% tops without fear of hangnails and dry skin. I'd use less PKO flakes if I decide to use CO as well.

I'm in no way an expert with only six batches under my belt, but I will agree with what has been said here about the cleansing oils (CO & PKO). I made the exact same "mistake" in my first batch and used a combo of both of those (30% combined) and the bar is very drying.

Is there a reason you are using mango butter instead of lard or palm? If it is for hardness, IMO, 3% is not enough.

A good recipe with most of those ingredients would be something like:
Palm (or tallow or lard) 50%
Castor 5%
PKO 10%
Coconut 10%
Olives 25%

Back