First try at multi color soap...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivanstein

Reaction score
This is my first try at multicolored soap. Also my first try at truly cold process. Everything is a room temp when mixed.

I used some tumeric for color on half of it, natural on the rest.

It's the Soaping 101 Bastille recipe, cut back to 2lb to fit my mold.

Wish me luck...
5eaa299cdbdf5cc082d6fc3fa295dd5a.jpg

I will most definitely. I figure this will take a few days to harden up though.

I tried to take this out of the mold, but it was the consistency of play-doh. The exposed surface was nicely hard, but underneath, not so.

Is there any way to make unmolding easier? Some sort of release agent? I have a hobby lobby loaf mold made from acrylic sheets.

I finally just used the chef knife to cut it out as best I could. I will post swirl pictures when it dries further.

Boo, the "no-line" lying acrylic molds have found another victim. That type of mold needs to be lined with freezer paper (shiny side touching your soap).

The soap itself is lovely though!

If you want to make a faster to un-mold soap...

1. Check out your recipe. If you have a lot of soft oils, you'll probably need to wait longer to unmold. Bastilles can take a looong time before they want to come out of the mold cleanly.
2. Use a salt (table or sodium lactate) to help harden up your soap.
3. Fully gel your soap.

I did use 1tsp ppo of sodium lactate. It's still very soft. Next time I will try harder oils. Also was thinking about smearing on a thin layer of some type of non saponifiable oil to help part. Maybe some car wax or mineral oil?

I did use 1tsp ppo of sodium lactate. It's still very soft. Next time I will try harder oils. Also was thinking about smearing on a thin layer of some type of non saponifiable oil to help part. Maybe some car wax or mineral oil?

From what folks say around here about those molds... even mineral oil isn't going to work with CP. Lining is the way to go.

Thanks for the link. Their molds aren't bad priced at all. I will pick some up soon.

This is my first try at multicolored soap. Also my first try at truly cold process. Everything is a room temp when mixed.

I used some tumeric for color on half of it, natural on the rest.

It's the Soaping 101 Bastille recipe, cut back to 2lb to fit my mold.

Wish me luck...
5eaa299cdbdf5cc082d6fc3fa295dd5a.jpg
If you have not de-molded this batch I would put it in the freezer and freeze before trying even if you happened to use vaseline or mineral oil as a mold release. Sorry to say but soap loves to stick to HDPE. I do have one mold your size that is smooth hdpe and it is hit and miss if it will stick, but it usually does. I forgot to mention, if that is the mold Michael's sells be careful of putting it in the oven. It can warp at 170º F , if I put it in the oven I turn off the oven at 150º F

Last edited:
Very nice. I like turmeric as a spice in my cooking, as an ingredient in a anti-acne facial cleansing powder I make for my granddaughter and in soap.

I have not used that mold, but I have found that lanolin works pretty well as a release agent. I don't actually use it anymore, but when I was new to soaping I seemed to need it. Over time, experience and practice helped me get beyond the need.

Back