First timers, homemade essential oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Man Cosmetics

Reaction score
Hello all!

I hope you're all safe and well.

We're a couple just starting out in soapmaking, and both being incredibly pragmatic and nitpicky, we want to get essential oil making right before we attempt making soap batter.

I thought I'd pick your brains!

We've acquired a melt and pour kit (don't judge =P) to test out our home made oils, and we're having some trouble smelling the oils in the soap.

We've basically created oils using virgin olive oil and dried ingredients - lavender, marigold, rose petals and spearmint. We didn't do any measuring, just stuffed the jars with dried and oils, and strained and refilled twice over two weeks.

The lavender and mint smell very strong, the marigold and rose not so much, and despite using so much that the soap has even come out quite oily, we can't really smell them coming through the soap.

Does anybody have any tips for homemade oilmaking, or any good ratios? =)

Thanks for your help!

Green Man

What you have made are infused oils, not essential oils.

Many people infuse oils and use them in their products. If you search the forum, you will find uses for them.

You may also find information on how to make essential oils, too. But I understand that is a difficult and expensive process with a small yield.

Edit: Also, infused oils will not smell as strongly as essential oils. There is only so much you can add to a melt and pour soap. They can be added to cold process and hot process soaps, but they would fragrance the soap much, if at all. There are other products that might be a better showcase for your oils.

Thank you so much for the response! I probably should have had a search around first - it's reassuring to know that at least the process we're using is the most common one =)

Much appreciated.

Before you go too far down a rabbit hole, if you long tem aim is to see your products and are infusing your own oils or even distilling your own essential oils there are some restrictions on what you can use, the traceability, MSDS as well as maximum percentage of ingredients. Might be worth reading up on cosmetic regulations and restrictions so you can formulate knowing its something you can use.

Back