First timer lye safety question

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Reaction score
I just received my shipment of lye and essential oils and am ready to start soaping. My only problem is the lye arrived in 4 plastic bottles inside a large zip lock bag and it looks like there is lye dust in the bag and on at least one of the bottles. I don't think it's a leak, just sloppy packaging. What sort of safety measures should I take when I go to open that bag and pull out the dusty bottle? It may be nothing but since I've never soaped before I feel extra cautious.

Last edited:

shunt2011

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
It should be fine. I noticed some of mine came the same way when I received them. I just wipe them down and dry them.

Scarekrow

Reaction score
rofl. when i added lye to water for the first time.. i jumped back 10 feet and cringed.. i then crept up and hesitantly stirred it with a silicone spatula to make sure it wasn't pulling a fakey.. i'mma big baby.. :mrgreen:

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you've got dust, make sure there isn't a lot of airflow when you open the bag - turn off fans/shut windows causing a cross-breeze. You don;t want that blowing all over the place inside your room. Other than that, just exercise normal precautions by wearing gloves and googles.

Good luck on the soaping!

Reaction score
I think I'll feel so much better when I get one batch under my belt. Lol @pulling a fakey

I'll definitely be careful about the dust.

Reaction score
I made my 1st batch!!! I was careful about wiping off the bottles and then I rubbed them with a dryer sheet. When I finally got around to soaping, the lye in the bottle was only a tiny bit scattery. I don't know what I was so afraid of.

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made my 1st batch!!! I was careful about wiping off the bottles and then I rubbed them with a dryer sheet. When I finally got around to soaping, the lye in the bottle was only a tiny bit scattery. I don't know what I was so afraid of.
You were afraid because it was a new experience. We've all been there.

Rusti

Reaction score
Afraid like I was my first batch, taking the lye and the measuring cup full of my water outside to mix and leaning back like I expected it to behave similarly to dropping a chunk of sodium into the water.

I was a little braver the second time and did it in the kitchen sink.