First time using my own soap :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigisiguenza

Reaction score
So the first batch of soap I ever made has finally reached the 4 week old mark and I just couldn't resist the urge to try it.

I'm happy to report that it lathered very nicely, creamy lather came up very readily as soon as I introduced it to hot water. No big bubbles, which I don't really like anyway, and I am truly stunned by how soft my hands feel afterwards.

As a side note, the soap that started out very creamy vanilla colored 4 weeks ago has now matured to a very soft shade of cafe au lat. No idea why the color changed but it's pretty anyway. And still smells very softly of the milk and honey FO I used.

Can't tell ya how silly I looked grinning like an idiot in my bathroom washing my hands as I chanted in a sing song voice "you made this soap and it's awesome.... you made this soap and it's awesome..." LOL.

Just had to share it with someone before I go to sleep :)

As a side note, the soap that started out very creamy vanilla colored 4 weeks ago has now matured to a very soft shade of cafe au lat. No idea why the color changed but it's pretty anyway. And still smells very softly of the milk and honey FO I used.

Glad to hear you liked it :D The discolour would be from the vanilla content in the FO. Anything FO that has vanilla in it will darken. Depending on the % will depend in the discolouring. My OMH also discolours to a tan latte colour too

Dill - I should have guessed that lol. I didn't expect it to because the notes on the product description said no discoloration or acceleration. At least it's a pretty color change :)

hahaha I sing to my soaps too!
And THIS is why I don't like big bars of soap, I have so many to use and my soap dishes are out of room :)

I have yet to settle on that "just perfect" recipe for myself, but I do find it amazing that every batch is still better than detergent based soap from the store. It makes experimenting with different recipes worth it.

Last edited:
I'm in awe of your patience, Gigi! I always use my little end cuts of new batches after a few days - I just can't help myself. In a way, it's nice as you can see and feel the difference as the curing process goes along.

oh come and see how many soaps I use in my shower, one leg with it, another with that...................my DH thinks I am completely crazy., but I like them all :))
I bet some people here do the same

oh come and see how many soaps I use in my shower, one leg with it, another with that...................my DH thinks I am completely crazy., but I like them all :))
I bet some people here do the same

One for face and one for body so far, but shampoo bars have piqued my interest too. Then I have two different hand soaps for the bathroom and kitchen. You can't just have one recipe can you? I mean, you need a bar for different functions!

I love that!

I do have to say, to those just starting out, it just gets better and better as you refine your recipes and really get the soaps to where you want them to be. I made a batch before the birth of The Little Efficacious Gentleman and used some just recently and was really blown away by it - such a gorgeous soap to use. It starts to get like Christmas every time you use a bar.

Ty folks :) I am so pleased with the texture and feel of my first soap. I tried it on my face last night to see if it would cause a problem and it was ok. I think I would prefer something more conditioning for a face bar, but it was still nice.

Really nice to have something that doesn't irritate my skin, cause hives, make my eczema or psoriasis to flair up, or leave it so dried out that I'm itching all day.

I wanted to make soap today but am worn out, so it's a lazy lay on the couch day off, crocheting and watching tv lol.

Latest posts

Back