First time trying my own recipe- would love feedback

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibct1969

Reaction score
Hi from warm and sunny Colorado!

After making several batches using recipes, I'd like to try one based on the oils and frozen goat milk I already have. I was hoping to get some feedback before I do. I will attach it. Instead of the water, I was planning on using frozen goat milk. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2016-11-13 at 5.17.34 PM.jpg

Hard bar, very cleansing. I myself would use less coconut just because of my skin.
Looks like about a 7% lye discount ( superfat) and 30% lye concentration. Should go fairly fast with that amount of coconut too.

I get a lasting number of 25.8 which isn't bad. Less coconut could also raise that number while lowering the cleansing factor.

It should make soap in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Hard bar, very cleansing. I myself would use less coconut just because of my skin.
Looks like about a 7% lye discount ( superfat) and 30% lye concentration. Should go fairly fast with that amount of coconut too.

I get a lasting number of 25.8 which isn't bad. Less coconut could also raise that number while lowering the cleansing factor.

It should make soap in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Thanks Steve! Would you then increase the olive, or the shea when reducing the coconut to make it less drying?

I would decrease the castor to 5% and the coconut to 20% and add those to the olive. Just my personal preference. And castor can make it a bit sticky over 5%. Otherwise looks good!

No sticky soap for me! Thank you!

I agree, lower the castor to 5%. If coconut isn't an issue for your skin (it isn't for mine) try lowering it to 20-25%. I'd also up the shea butter to 5%, and add the remaining percentage to the olive oil. Good luck!

With that low amount of shea, it makes me think that a recipe process called for adding it at trace with the superfat - generally in soap any oil at less than 5% is not going to be noticed, especially in this case where lard and shea are so similar and there is a lot of lard.

If you have made soaps from a recipe with this much coconut and that much superfat, and you like them, I would keep it that way. If the other soaps always had lower amounts, I would lower it.

I am thinking about 55% lard, 5% castor, your chosen coconut amount and the balance in olive

Those with more experience than I have have given you the best possible advice already.
I'm a lardite so I would have gone more towards that oil - my personal choice.
You go with what you want this time and learn what you really do like in your soap.
This is more an artform than a science. We all use different brushstrokes (oils).

My skin loves it's shea butter. I would suggest bumping that up to at least 5%, while subtracting it from the coconut oil, so you can actually feel some of it. I'd take the rest of the 6.6% from the coconut oil and add it to the lard. I can't always use lard (I break out on my face) but it really makes a nice soap.

Generally, I agree with the others about how you like your coconut oil in your soap and capping that castor oil to 5% (it makes the soap sticky).

Back