First Time Soap Maker w/ Plaque Psoriasis

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSpirtos

Reaction score
Almost every soap on the planet irritates my condition with most of the all natural alternitives smelling absolutely dreadful or leaving a unwanted film on my skin. Now there are companies online that promise relief with exotic herbs and plant extract though at over $13.00 a bar I just can’t afford that luxury. So I’ve decided to take action and make my own soap from scratch. Are there any true n' tried soap recipes for a first time soaper? Is cold processed soap the way to go? I'm really partial to musty-wooden-vanilla-coffee-spice though it seems that my skin does best with anything carrying a menthol-peppermint-mint-tingle to it.

Last edited:
Pine tar soap is supposedly good for psoriasis, but definitely not for beginner. If you're not opposed to using animal fat, 100% lard soap is very gentle on your skin and you can use minty eo/fo for your "menthol-peppermint-mint-tingle" :).

Or if you prefer non-animal, try palm-olive-coconut oil soap. I also did a 70% rice bran oil & 30% coconut oil with 6%SF for more simpler recipe, my skin like it. Although you might prefer another recipe as climate, humidity, water, and skin condition play part on what kind of soap you skin might like.

Last edited:
I would start with unscented soap as fragrance can exacerbate skin problems. My sister has a good friend with very aggressive psoriasis. I made a high % olive oil soap for her with goat's milk (I think it was 70% OO and 25% Palm and 5% castor) and I made a pine tar soap (20% pine tar). She got more relief from the pine tar. As mentioned earlier, pine tar makes your soap come together very quickly and is probably best tried after you have some experience.

Thank you all for your help. I'm going to start looking at beginner newbie recipes and hopefully in time make a bar that my skin will love.

Personally, I would start (personally, I DID start!) with a soap made up of olive oil, palm/lard/tallow and Coconut oil, with the coconut being no more than 15% and the other two oils making up the remainder. It's not tricky to use these 3 oils, but they also give a bar that can be used after 1 month.

After a few times, you can try reducing the amount of the olive oil and palm/lard/tallow by 10-15% and replacing it with pine tar - it is a pretty basic pine tar recipe, but we're looking to walk before we run :) Pine tar was my 3rd ever soap, though, so I can't talk too much about waiting a long time to try it :D

Latest posts

Back