First time milk soap!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveOscar

Reaction score
It's like every time I make a new batch, I'm more excited about it than the last. First time trying a milk soap recipe!

Olive Oil 53.57%
Coconut Oil 28.57%
Shea Butter 13.57%
Avocado Oil 4.29% (because I ran out of SB! :()

3 tbsp chopped (in absence of grinding tools, finely chopped) oatmeal
Sweetgrass and fig FO

Whole (cow) milk replaced water, 30% of oils
8% SF

Refrigerated to prevent gel, unmolded, and sliced into 1.25 inch wide bars. The texture feels soft right out of the mold, not so soft as to leave indentions, but it feels much softer than the salt bars I did last time.

e172621a-0102-4f2e-b7a3-a9d9b0a29b5d_zpshhcgxevc.jpg

"it feels much softer than the salt bars I did last time."

I would hope so!
Looks good! CP milk soap takes a bit to get hard but it does set up nicely.
And hints of "sour milk"? Looks like you did a very good job of keeping the milk and lye from interacting in a bad way.

Milk soaps are nice when you get the hang of them. I've been meaning to try yogurt in a batch myself. If you're ok with it, coconut milk is really nice too.

I love milk soap with oatmeal. And avocado oil is wonderful in soap. I think you're really going to love this one. Nice job! :thumbup:

"it feels much softer than the salt bars I did last time."

I would hope so!
Looks good! CP milk soap takes a bit to get hard but it does set up nicely.
And hints of "sour milk"? Looks like you did a very good job of keeping the milk and lye from interacting in a bad way.

The salt soap was cut at about 8 hours vs the 26 hours and cold when I cut the milk soap, I was surprised by the texture difference!

Thanks, I was so afraid of it scalding. I froze my milk into ice cubes, let them sit out for maybe 15 minutes to start melting, added .4 oz of distilled water when I put them in a measuring cup to get a bit more liquid, and slowly dropped teaspoons of lye at a time on them. I kept stirring constantly so it wouldn't burn, and once it was liquid enough, I put a thermometer in the cup to keep track of the temperature. It never went above 130 degress F. I think milk scalds at 180 degrees F.

I have a can of coconut milk (forgot it was in my supply box!) when I had already frozen the milk cubes. I think I might try for a coconut milk batch today, but I need to look at some recipes first.

I'm looking forward to these bars! Milk seemed so difficult until I just did it. I'm looking forward to the next batch!

Back